C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Radiators

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 08:33 AM
CRASH03
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement Radiators

Yes. I did a search. Yes. I found a thread. No. It didn't answer my questions, and was a year or two out of date. LOL.

I need to replace the radiator in my 98 C5 Convertible with automatic transmission. Common issue, I know. What I'm asking is does anyone have any experience with the Spectre Premium brand replacement radiator compared to the AC Delco replacement? Having checked all the parts places in my area, no one has the AC Delco, but they all offer the Spectra, and at half the price I could find on Rock Auto. BUT, I don't want to save money at the expense of quality. So I guess I'll just write my queries in list form and ask for everyone's advice. And no, I don't have the cash for the DeWitt's. LOL.

1. Anyone have experience with the Spectre Premium radiator? $105
2. Is the AC Delco worth the extra money? $184
3. Anyone have experience with any other brands?
4. What's the best price you've found recently on radiators and where?
5. Do you recommend replacing the thermostat also? If so, is it worth it getting a higher temp than stock?

Thanks in advance for your HELPFUL comments.

Last edited by CRASH03; 04-27-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:22 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by CRASH03
Yes. I did a search. Yes. I found a thread. No. It didn't answer my questions, and was a year or two out of date. LOL.

I need to replace the radiator in my 98 C5 Convertible with automatic transmission. Common issue, I know. What I'm asking is does anyone have any experience with the Spectre Premium brand replacement radiator compared to the AC Delco replacement? Having checked all the parts places in my area, no one has the AC Delco, but they all offer the Spectra, and at half the price I could find on Rock Auto. BUT, I don't want to save money at the expense of quality. So I guess I'll just write my queries in list form and ask for everyone's advice. And no, I don't have the cash for the DeWitt's. LOL.

1. Anyone have experience with the Spectre Premium radiator? $105
2. Is the AC Delco worth the extra money? $184
3. Anyone have experience with any other brands?
4. What's the best price you've found recently on radiators and where?

Thanks in advance for your HELPFUL comments.
Just a suggestion.....Replacement parts, especially a radiator is not a great place to try to save money. One of the designers always says,
"I can't afford to buy cheap parts"....I agree.
Good luck with your decision.
The following users liked this post:
CRASH03 (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 11:13 AM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

I used a Spectre Premium on mine and two years later no problems at all. I got mine a little cheaper than that but not much. It fit well and cooled the car just fine. Good luck with your decision.
CRASH03 (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 12:28 PM
CRASH03
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by runner140*
Replacement parts, especially a radiator is not a great place to try to save money.
I agree completely. The reason I ask is, AC Delco is the one who built the crappy original radiator, so how much faith should I put into them being the "best" for the money? I've never heard of this Spectre Premium company and more wondering if anyone has any experience with them.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:13 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Us folks who make our Corvettes work for a living like DeWitts or Ron Davis radiators. All aluminum construction, higher cooling capacity, and have the option for an integrated oil cooler. I use the Ron Davis with an integrated oil cooler.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:38 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

If I raced/tracked my car or drove it ultra long distances frequently I'd buy a DeWitt's or Ron Davis. I agree that their products are probably the best but at a significant cost.

For a street cruiser the Spectre is a good choice if you were even considering the factory GM replacement. Even if you had to replace it every three to five years it would take several to equal the cost of one of the others I mentioned. I drive my car a bunch but would be hard pressed to spend the big bucks for a replacement factory-equivalent radiator. But that's just me. Sensibly frugal at times but not afraid to pay for what I really need. Remember, there are many thousands of our cars out there with well over 100K miles and the original radiators are still performing well with minimal care so GM didn't do such a bad job designing and having manufactured our radiators.

Regarding the question about a thermostat, the car's computer expects to see the factory water temperature so just replace the thermostat with the OE temp one. Lot's of owners put in a cooler one but the fan switch and fuel settings have to be programmed to fully accommodate it.

Last edited by CaseyJones; 04-28-2016 at 12:44 PM.
CRASH03 (04-28-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Replacement Radiators

Quick Reply: Replacement Radiators