C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SWPS Question, Verification

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 05:36 PM
RedC5CO
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SWPS Question, Verification

Hello All,

I have found great information here about the steering wheel position sensor. Long story short, while in the shop for engine work, the steering wheel was turned 360 degree's one way or the other. Luckily, I can turn the wheel full stop both right and left without the airbag sensor going off!

I couldn't find a new sensor (that I could afford), so I bought a used one. I want to make sure it is centered before I have it installed. I measured the resistance between pins 1 and 6 and pins 2 and 6. They were not equal. 1/4 turn and now they are both the same, 5.56k ohms.

Does it sound like I have it centered?

I appreciate your feedback!

Tom
Old 05-01-2016, 08:47 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Why don't you first disconnect the wires off the installed sensor and use the same ohm check rotate it back to center? If it doesn't work then replace it.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:03 PM
RedC5CO
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Why don't you first disconnect the wires off the installed sensor and use the same ohm check rotate it back to center? If it doesn't work then replace it.
I'm considering doing that, but I would like to know what I'm doing is correct first. Also, getting to that connector is not easy for me, especially trying to hold meter leads on it.

If my method is correct, I may try and get a connector I could plug into the SWPS with wires that extend out far enough for me to measure with the meter.

Tom
Old 05-01-2016, 11:11 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Yes, what you are doing is correct. If you do that with the sensor on the car you can figure out which direction it's out.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:33 AM
RedC5CO
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
Yes, what you are doing is correct. If you do that with the sensor on the car you can figure out which direction it's out.
You da Man! Thank you! I'm afraid I'm going to go from having a usable, but annoying car with a warning message always on, to a car with a blown airbag sensor as well!

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To SWPS Question, Verification

Quick Reply: SWPS Question, Verification