C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switchback Harness with White DRLs with Amber Turn Signals and Parks

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 04:21 AM
LWSZ06
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 95 Posts

Default Switchback Harness with White DRLs with Amber Turn Signals and Parks

Here is a switchback harness I have been working on. I wanted to have White DRLs with Amber Turn Signals
and Amber Parking Lights. The prototype seem to work well.
It is wired with the DRL/Turn Signal on the White LEDs and the Parks on the Amber.
It consists of 2 timers. One is a 2 second On Delay to switch the Turn Signal to the Amber LEDs and return back to
White for the DRL. The other one is a 2 second OFF Delay to cancel the Parks (If they are ON) when the Turn Signal is activated,
then return back to Amber Park.
I have about $14.00 in parts (Less bulbs) for a pair of harnesses. I have installed a LED Flasher, so I don't have any resistors.
Without the LED Flasher, you will need a resistor across the Turn Signal output.
Here are some videos and pic of the harness. I am using AO style LEDs, but AW style will also work. I have had one set of AO
bulbs that had a LONG switchover time and they caused a longer time to go from Amber Turn Signal back to White DRL, and vice versa.

The first video shows the DRL turning ON. They first turn On Amber, then after 2 seconds the timer times out and switches to White.
They stay White until there is a break in voltage.

The second video shows the Turn Signal opertation with DRL. The Turn Signal starts a pulse that will reset the timer and the output goes to
the Amber LEDs. Since the pulse rate is less the 2 second, the timer won't time out until the Turn Signal is OFF. After the last Turn Signal
pulse, the Timer times out and switches back to White DRL.

The third video shows the Park LEDs On Amber, then the Turn Signal (Amber) is activated. When the Turn Signal output is ON, the second Timer
is energized immediately and turns OFF the Park LEDs. The pulsing keeps the Timer from timing out by resetting it, so the Parks stay OFF until
the Turn Signal output stops, then the Timer times out and the Parks turn back ON.

Here a a few pic showing the harness and the relays. The first relay, the On Delay was bought off Alibaba and the second
OFF Delay is just a capacitor across the coil of a relay to keep it energized after power is OFF. I haven't been able to find
a cheap simple OFF Delay Timer.

I still need to do more testing, but it look promising.
I'll try to get some video on the car in the future.

Larry
Attached Images      
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
1-DRL Turn On only.wmv (2.65 MB, 63 views)
2-Turn Signal with DRL.wmv (4.71 MB, 54 views)
3-Park ON then Turn Signal.wmv (4.13 MB, 51 views)

Quick Reply: Switchback Harness with White DRLs with Amber Turn Signals and Parks