C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0171 + P0174 + whining noise... fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 11:22 PM
carlspeed
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Default P0171 + P0174 + whining noise... fuel pump?

I picked up the car from my buddy as a little better of an auto x toy. The car has a few little things to take care of, there is an exhaust leak, needs the ECBM sent off, and the vacuum leak codes.

I know these codes, from what I've read and searched, are typically vacuum leak codes. I cannot find anything wrong with any of the vacuum stuff, however, my buddy was the second or third owner, and all of the mods the car has were not done by him. I was looking and it appears also the PCV valve might have been re routed. I included a picture below to show what I'm talking about. He has checked the hoses, and sprayed ether around to see if it changes and it did not. In just visually inspecting the hoses, not only do I not find any leaks, but I cannot find any hoses that are even remotely not brand new looking.

I took my wife for a little ride when I got home, and I was noticing a whining noise coming from the cabin that I hadn't noticed on the drive home. I'm wondering if that's the fuel pump going bad (over a half tank of fuel), and coupled with the codes if that's the problem, and the car literally is running lean. I included a link to a youtube video I uploaded. Please note, in the video, on my phone, the noise is WAY louder than it seems inside the car. Playing it through my speakers on the computer now, it's not quite as loud. YMMV. Does it whether the AC is on or not.

Thanks in advance everyone! Can't wait to sort this thing out and get it racing.

Attached Images  

Last edited by carlspeed; 06-13-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:21 AM
jimmyLSX
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by carlspeed
I picked up the car from my buddy as a little better of an auto x toy. The car has a few little things to take care of, there is an exhaust leak, needs the ECBM sent off, and the vacuum leak codes.

I know these codes, from what I've read and searched, are typically vacuum leak codes. I cannot find anything wrong with any of the vacuum stuff, however, my buddy was the second or third owner, and all of the mods the car has were not done by him. I was looking and it appears also the PCV valve might have been re routed. I included a picture below to show what I'm talking about. He has checked the hoses, and sprayed ether around to see if it changes and it did not. In just visually inspecting the hoses, not only do I not find any leaks, but I cannot find any hoses that are even remotely not brand new looking.

I took my wife for a little ride when I got home, and I was noticing a whining noise coming from the cabin that I hadn't noticed on the drive home. I'm wondering if that's the fuel pump going bad (over a half tank of fuel), and coupled with the codes if that's the problem, and the car literally is running lean. I included a link to a youtube video I uploaded. Please note, in the video, on my phone, the noise is WAY louder than it seems inside the car. Playing it through my speakers on the computer now, it's not quite as loud. YMMV. Does it whether the AC is on or not.

Thanks in advance everyone! Can't wait to sort this thing out and get it racing.

https://youtu.be/hWp9nX-f6rc
The pcv looks stock like mine was on my 03z before the catch can went in.

That whirring noise sounds like the throw out bearing or the bearings in the torque tube.

If parked and on if you push in the clutch pedal the noise will stop.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:16 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 449 Likes on 330 Posts

I agree the PCV is stock. The noise doesn't sound like the fuel pump. A quick and dirty way to determine if it is the fuel pump is to turn on a directional. The sound will fluctuate with the turn signal.

Get notified of new replies

To P0171 + P0174 + whining noise... fuel pump?

Quick Reply: P0171 + P0174 + whining noise... fuel pump?