C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Column lock out still out after bypass installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 05:20 PM
jimrowe0
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Column lock out still locked after bypass installed

So my column got locked out a few days ago, I'm pretty sure from a low battery. For a day or two it would unlock when cranking it with the jump box. However, today it wouldn't. Luckily I had a clb kit laying around and installed it. However the column is still locked although I am not getting a message at all anymore with it hooked up.

I though maybe I had the relay done since the backside of the cl connector colors didn't match the front for one color. But I pulled the BCM and there was no spliced purple wire that I could find.

Any ideas on what might be keeping the column locked even though now it's not displaying any error messages?

Thank you

Last edited by jimrowe0; 06-30-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:40 PM
Ricks99FRC
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

if the column was locked when you installed the bypass it will not unlock it. The bypass keeps it from locking again once installed after it is unlocked.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:43 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

if you get a cig lighter cord and cut the end off you can plug it in and use the cut end to apply power to the CL harness and unlock the collar...then re-install the CLB
Old 06-30-2016, 05:43 PM
jimrowe0
Banned Scam/Spammer

I thought that's why the give you the cigarette connection to deactivate it. How would I get it unlocked then?
Old 06-30-2016, 05:44 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Order a LMC5 Module and the unlocker IF you need it... call and talk with Richard@ Compliance Parts... and read the sticky on Column Lock...
Old 06-30-2016, 05:44 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by jimrowe0
I thought that's why the give you the cigarette connection to deactivate it. How would I get it unlocked then?
thats right

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=24
Old 06-30-2016, 06:05 PM
jimrowe0
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Order a LMC5 Module and the unlocker IF you need it... call and talk with Richard@ Compliance Parts... and read the sticky on Column Lock...
I did read the sticky several times over. I don't understand why the message would disappear, meaning no column locked warning or take out key message and it still be locked. I tried taking out fuse 25, but for only like a minute. I can try it for 10 minutes as suggested in the ls1 link.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:14 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

So I understood you have the CLB not the LMC5 module is that correct?
you working on the 99 or 02?

Last edited by 73Corvette; 06-30-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:25 PM
jimrowe0
Banned Scam/Spammer

So I understood you have the CLB not the LMC5 module is that correct?
you working on the 99 or 02?
The CLB- working on the 02Z

Last edited by jimrowe0; 06-30-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:58 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

TON of info on the LMC5 vs CLB... if it were my car I would get on line and order an LMC5 module and put it in as soon as I got it and be DONE with that WHOLE mess... I ordered and put one in and hadn't even had a HINT of a problem and the recall had been done... I just didn't want to be in your shoes or stranded somewhere because of a CL issue...
Old 06-30-2016, 07:35 PM
jimrowe0
Banned Scam/Spammer

TON of info on the LMC5 vs CLB... if it were my car I would get on line and order an LMC5 module and put it in as soon as I got it and be DONE with that WHOLE mess... I ordered and put one in and hadn't even had a HINT of a problem and the recall had been done... I just didn't want to be in your shoes or stranded somewhere because of a CL issue...
Yes, I agree. The CLB is not working, I just pulled it out. Put the it back together without it and put the highend battery charger on it and the steering wheel unlocked. So then I put the CLB back in thinking it would work, steering wheel locked back.

So it's out and I'll call about the LMC5, but this defintely seems like a battery issue.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:41 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jimrowe0
Yes, I agree. The CLB is not working, I just pulled it out. Put the it back together without it and put the highend battery charger on it and the steering wheel unlocked. So then I put the CLB back in thinking it would work, steering wheel locked back.

So it's out and I'll call about the LMC5, but this defintely seems like a battery issue.
Low battery is very often the kick off for CL issues...you'll be glad you did the LMC5
Old 06-30-2016, 08:13 PM
jimrowe0
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
If you did not get the column unlocked before you installed the CLB, then when you did the install, the CLB now is providing the signaling responses to the BCM to "fool" it into thinking the system is working correctly.

The BCM has no way to physically know if the column is locked or not. It relies on a "command-response" protocol with the lock motor to know the "state" of the column lock. Once the CLB is installed you disconnect the lock motor so it can no longer operate the locking mechanism and connect the CLB to the BCM connections so the BCM now sends signals to the CLB. The CLB simply responds back to the BCM with the proper response (electrical voltage) to make the BCM think the "system" is correctly operating.

You need to uninstall the CLB and then get the column physically unlocked and then install the CLB with the column unlocked.

The MOST COMMON cause of the column lock symptoms is a weak or bad battery or loose or corroded battery connections including at the starter.
I did that, the CLB still didn't work even when I got it unlocked and then reinstalled.

Ordered the LMC5 a few minutes ago. The CLB is going back.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2016, 10:59 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

dunno what the issue was....8VETTE7 and I both basically told you the same thing.

I installed a CLB in my 99 back in 99 and its still going strong...never an issue. The one I installed in wifes 02 gave me the Service Column Lock message once after install then never again. The 02 has since been parted out, CLB sold to someone else who is using it now.

sorry you are having issues...I know it sucks *****
Old 06-30-2016, 11:40 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Anyones guess what was done to the car with the factory recall service. Could have been that a GM K Harness was installed and the CLB was plugged into that instead of the connector that goes off to the BCM. or it could be something else.

When your CLB was installed on your 99 it was most likely BEFORE the GM Recall Service which came out in early 2004. That was a FUBAR beyond most other FUBAR's from GM.

That is one of the reasons I now recommend the LMC5 instead of the CLB. To correctly install a CLB you pretty much have to undo the GM recall service to get the CLB to work properly. And that depends upon whether the car was a manual or automatic and what year the car was and whether the GM Tech that performed the recall service knew what he/she was doing and a dozen other things.

The advantage of the LMC5 is that it simply abandons any and all column lock or recall wiring downstream of the BCM so you don't have to worry what was or was not done for recall service.... On the bad side you probably have to do the BROWN WIRE mod portion of the install to avoid the "Pull key....." message and that mod is described as an "optional" step. I personally think it should be a mandatory step or the device altered so the step is unneeded......

yeah, the last few times I took the car to the dealer (way back when) they said I had the open recall and I signed off saying I had taken care of it as I didn't want them F'ing with the car as the CLB was and continues to do just fine.

so glad I haven't been to a dealer in so many years I can't count....

at least they finally fixed the issue somewhere in the C6 run

Get notified of new replies

To Column lock out still out after bypass installed

Quick Reply: Column lock out still out after bypass installed