C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:34 PM
nickb45502
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Racing Seats

So my dad and I have an 03 Z, with the memory power seat. I'm investigating putting aftermarket seats in because when we autocross I don't feel the seat holds me in good enough. Are there any options out there that keep the power memory option? Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks,
Nick and Don
Old 08-02-2016, 05:00 PM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

What kind of budget are you looking at?

Also how tall are you 2?
Trying to use race seats with factory power rails will affect your headroom
Old 08-02-2016, 05:23 PM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

You can remove the control module from the stock seat and leave it hooked up under the new seat. The memory function for the mirrors and telescopic column will still work. Most people haven't mounted an aftermarket seat on the factory power rails do to the height of the overall package.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:28 PM
nickb45502
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm about 6 foot even and he is about 6 foot 2ish, I'm just seeing if it can be done
Old 08-03-2016, 11:26 AM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It can be done, Mark @ Marrad I believe has some aftermarket mounts that will allow you to use the factory power seat rails with an aftermarket race seat however you may lose a bit of headroom in the process. Check with Mark though as he could probably tell you for sure what the expectations would be - info@marradind.com
(he also carries some options for race seats)
Old 08-03-2016, 01:09 PM
0marrad
Former Vendor

Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by nickb45502
So my dad and I have an 03 Z, with the memory power seat. I'm investigating putting aftermarket seats in because when we autocross I don't feel the seat holds me in good enough. Are there any options out there that keep the power memory option? Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks,
Nick and Don
Hi Nick and Don,

It can be done, but it does depend on the seat you use. We designed our new ST3 seat to sit as low as possible on the oem tracks. Some of the pictures below demonstrate that. The C5 customer who installed the seat below about 2 weeks ago estimated he gained about 1/2" of headroom with the bottom cushion installed; 2" if he lifts the cushion out. He sent me an email Monday saying he had a track day this past weekend and spent 4 hours at the track and a 2 hour drive each way and found the seat very comfortable.

More info is below:

http://www.marradind.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ST3

http://www.marradind.com/proddetail.asp?prod=C56OEMSM
Old 08-03-2016, 01:15 PM
marco383
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Caravaggio sells high quality, high $$ race seats that mount on the stock bases. I had a pair for a while, but ended up replacing them with Corbeau FX1s on simple sliders, mainly to lose the 40 pounds or so that the stock seat bases/motors weigh.

Originally Posted by marrad
Hi Nick and Don,

It can be done, but it does depend on the seat you use. We designed our new ST3 seat to sit as low as possible on the oem tracks. Some of the pictures below demonstrate that. The C5 customer who installed the seat below about 2 weeks ago estimated he gained about 1/2" of headroom with the bottom cushion installed; 2" if he lifts the cushion out. He sent me an email Monday saying he had a track day this past weekend and spent 4 hours at the track and a 2 hour drive each way and found the seat very comfortable.

More info is below:

http://www.marradind.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ST3

http://www.marradind.com/proddetail.asp?prod=C56OEMSM

Get notified of new replies

To Racing Seats

Quick Reply: Racing Seats