C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 FRC Clutch Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 11:21 PM
Cordawg
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 99 FRC Clutch Noise?

Looking for help with my 99 FRC M6 78k miles. I believe it is all stock. Recently started making some clutch noise. I would call it a metallic chatter and every once in awhile a chirp. It did this a few times recently cruising at 2k rpms and would go away when I pushed the clutch in. Now it's making the sound when I push the clutch in, in between shifts and gets louder with engine rpms, then goes away when I let off the clutch. It occasionally still makes this same noise cruising at 2k rpms.

Vid below. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_tr...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Cordawg; 09-09-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:49 AM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

Could be so many things...

Could be the clutch, or even the Torque tube bearings...
Old 09-09-2016, 10:57 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

sounds like the throw out bearing !!
Old 09-09-2016, 12:12 PM
Cordawg
Intermediate

Im thinking throw out bearing or pilot bearing or both. With the car sitting still in neutral I start to push the clutch in and get a chirping squealing sound. Once the clutch is fully disengaged I get the constant rattle like the sound posted in the vid. Once clutch is out/engaged the noise goes away.

Any other advice is appreciated. Im 500mi away from home in knoxville TN. Anyone know any good shops in this area? Would love to be able to make it home and do it myself but not sure it will make it.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:39 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

is it highway driving ??? how much shifting will be necessary ??? shift the least possible times, and I would rather do my own at home as well, even if it had to be towed 300 miles, I don't trust anyone with my cars, never have !!!!
Old 09-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Cordawg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by akapounder
is it highway driving ??? how much shifting will be necessary ??? shift the least possible times, and I would rather do my own at home as well, even if it had to be towed 300 miles, I don't trust anyone with my cars, never have !!!!
Yea its hwy so not a ton of shifting but I have to drive it some while im down here. I drove alittle today and was quiet for most of it but a few miles from the hotel it started clattering again.

Im going to drive it as little as possible for now and see how it goes.

Thanks guys!

Old 09-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Cordawg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by akapounder
sounds like the throw out bearing !!
Will the throwout bearing make noise with the clutch engaged? Mine is clattering lightly at low rpms too. Ive noticed it in 4, 5 & 6th gear. Its definitely louder with the clutch disengaged but doesnt do it all the time.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:39 AM
Cordawg
Intermediate

Just wanted to give an update on this. When it 1st started making the noise it didn't sound like it was going to be able to make it more then a few miles. After researching and getting a better understanding of the issue I figured I would make it home and then some.

I put a couple hundred more miles on it in the Smokey Mountains. Most of that being on the Dragons Tail and surrounding areas with minimal shifting. Then drove it home staying in 6th just about the whole time.

So I put 700ish miles on it after the noise started. Didn't really get any worse but sometimes it doesn't make a peep. I'm planning on tearing into this winter, I'll let you guys know what I find.

Thanks
Nick
Old 09-21-2016, 11:41 AM
Cordawg
Intermediate

Also I'm thinking about getting a lift for the shop. Any recommendations?

Get notified of new replies

To 99 FRC Clutch Noise?

Quick Reply: 99 FRC Clutch Noise?