C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am going crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 02:29 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default I am going crazy!

My nightmare continues, I have posted a few threads about alignments and the car tracking weird and so on. I was told to get an alignment and throw some new c6z shocks on so I did both of those and the problem is still there. The car pretty constantly wants to pull to the left so much so that I am fighting it with my left hand holding it then randomly it will stop wanting to pull left and it will go fairly straight. Shortly after it will go back to its normal pulling left... I look like a drunk person driving the car because I am fighting it from going left and then all the sudden it will be normal again and the car will shoot right.

I also should mention, when I am holding it from going to the left I don't have to turn the wheel to the right or anything the wheel is dead center it just feels like the steering wheels wants to go left.

I am at a loss on what to do with it and it isn't fun to drive anymore either... any thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas?

Car setup:
2003 c5 z06
275/35/18 front
345/30/19 rear
C6z06 shocks
Lowered on stock bolts
Factory alignment but next time it goes in it will get one of the pfadt alignments
Old 10-14-2016, 03:04 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

The more I am thinking about it the more it sounds like control arm bushings. It feels like the steering wheel is weighted on the left and side and I am fighting against that weight.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:32 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

1. not a issue these days but a bad tire (belt seperated) 2. if you can get the car up in the front with the wheels off the ground, with wheels straight start the car, do the wheel steer to one side or other (rare but power steering spool not centering)(old school issue)

Last edited by Pounder; 10-14-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:56 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

Sounds like something is bent.... wheels? Suspension? Subframe?
Old 10-14-2016, 05:41 PM
Carl Timonen
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

If suspension seems good, check your wheel bearings.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:29 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by akapounder
1. not a issue these days but a bad tire (belt seperated) 2. if you can get the car up in the front with the wheels off the ground, with wheels straight start the car, do the wheel steer to one side or other (rare but power steering spool not centering)(old school issue)
I will give that a shot, I am going to try a few things I have saw and see what that brings.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:33 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Roddy13
Sounds like something is bent.... wheels? Suspension? Subframe?
Wheels are straight
subframe I am the only one that drives the car so don't see how that could get bent nothing has been hit or anything.
Suspension I don't even hit pot holes or anything.

Wheel bearing keeps coming up but I also just order pfadt control arm kit. Not looking forward to the work but has to be done.
Originally Posted by Carl Timonen
If suspension seems good, check your wheel bearings.
That keeps coming up, best way to tell if a wheel bearing is bad??

Last edited by Ls2gtoowner; 10-14-2016 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:08 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Little update for everyone, I am 99% sure it has nothing to do with tires, brakes or anything to that nature. I can get it to track left or right but it's default tracking is left but I can get it to track right for a little then it will slowly go back tracking straight then back to tracking left.

Can a power steering rack just break? Or wear out??

I have ordered new pfadt control arm bushing kit, new endlinks (although mine are already metal), new sway bar bushings, and new outer tie rods.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:54 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls2gtoowner
Little update for everyone, I am 99% sure it has nothing to do with tires, brakes or anything to that nature. I can get it to track left or right but it's default tracking is left but I can get it to track right for a little then it will slowly go back tracking straight then back to tracking left.

Can a power steering rack just break? Or wear out??

I have ordered new pfadt control arm bushing kit, new endlinks (although mine are already metal), new sway bar bushings, and new outer tie rods.
the spool in a power steering unit applies the pressurized fluid to help move the steering linkage, if there is a leak or a bad spool it will bypass were the fluid should be going forcing the pressurized fluid to go where it is not intended = bad rack and pinion !!
Old 10-16-2016, 03:33 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by akapounder
the spool in a power steering unit applies the pressurized fluid to help move the steering linkage, if there is a leak or a bad spool it will bypass were the fluid should be going forcing the pressurized fluid to go where it is not intended = bad rack and pinion !!
You have a pm.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:36 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Old 10-16-2016, 06:01 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 4XLR8N
I don't believe popcorn will fix my issue. I could be wrong thought Hahahah
Old 10-16-2016, 07:24 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Are you kidding?!? Popcorn fixes everything!

Seriously, I have a similar (though not exactly the same) issue on my DD Malibu. It has a slight to mild pull to the left. Never pulls right. Will track straight as an arrow if I am in the right lane where the crown of the road counteracts it. If I am on level pavement, she's going left.

For awhile now I have been suspecting a bad ball joint, control arm bushing, or something similar. I have had it aligned twice at two different shops. All new tires. Nothing helps...

So I feel ya...

If you find a cure, post it up!

Last edited by 4XLR8N; 10-16-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:30 PM
Paul Wood
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had similar issue when I went to larger tires. The roads where I lived in Texas were severely dished due to large trucks. I could be riding along straight and suddenly car would veer left. It was a fight every time I drove. I read about tram lining and sure enough when I went back to narrower tires the problem went away. Just a thought.
Old 10-17-2016, 12:48 AM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Paul Wood
I had similar issue when I went to larger tires. The roads where I lived in Texas were severely dished due to large trucks. I could be riding along straight and suddenly car would veer left. It was a fight every time I drove. I read about tram lining and sure enough when I went back to narrower tires the problem went away. Just a thought.
The 275's up front have been on for a long time with zero issues. I can't see that being an issue but this is a tire size most c6z guys run. It was doing this before I put 345's on the back. It's a thought and I will keep it in mind but will try everything else first hahaha

Not only that I could drive down the one road and it will pull left and drive down the other road at the same spot and can get it to go right. I can make it go one way or the other but always defaults to left lol

Last edited by Ls2gtoowner; 10-17-2016 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:06 AM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

I have a similar issue but more of a tram-lining problem. When It happens it scares me into near panic. When I get the car up I'm going to check for broke or loose bolts on the lower control arms.
There are a lot of bridges where I live. There is bumpy brushed concrete and the car feels like it is going out of control. At first I thought I had a flat run flat but I checked. Now I am wondering if one of the caster/camber adjusters got wallowed out.

Last edited by Rob 02; 10-17-2016 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:12 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

You might look at the upper control arm bushings. Those who autocross have seen the metal part of the arm go over the rubber bushings making the steering suspect. If you do any canyon runs, x-way ramp stomps, etc, yours might have done that over time.

Last edited by Gordy M; 10-18-2016 at 09:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rob 02 (10-17-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To I am going crazy!

Old 10-17-2016, 01:19 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Gordy M
You might look at the lower control arm bushings. Those who autocross have seen the metal part of the arm go over the rubber bushings making the steering suspect. If you do any canyon runs, x-way ramp stomps, etc, yours might have done that over time.
If this is the case it would explain a lot as the OP's seems to be a front end problem and mine feels like a rear end issue. Both are intermittent making trouble shooting difficult. I might try poly bushings.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:41 PM
Ls2gtoowner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gordy M
You might look at the lower control arm bushings. Those who autocross have seen the metal part of the arm go over the rubber bushings making the steering suspect. If you do any canyon runs, x-way ramp stomps, etc, yours might have done that over time.
I have ordered the bushing kit from pfadt so I will be replacing those (not looking forward to it though at all)

I am also tempted to replace the rack as my rack as to be removed anyway because my ac needs a new belt (gotta love a supercharged car)

I don't auto cross my car or anything but it does get highway pulls and some back road twisties.

Originally Posted by Rob 02
If this is the case it would explain a lot as the OP's seems to be a front end problem and mine feels like a rear end issue. Both are intermittent making trouble shooting difficult. I might try poly bushings.
I have ordered the pfadt kit we will see how it goes.

Considering replacing the rack as well not sure yet though.
The following users liked this post:
Rob 02 (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 08:11 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Let us know.

Quick Reply: I am going crazy!