C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS7 Clutch Heavy slow revs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 01:06 PM
jarnold
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS7 Clutch Heavy slow revs?

Getting a clutch replaced because of a leaking slave cylinder. Anyway trying to decide which clutch. Probably going to have the blocker synchro's changed too. Piece of crap 97 rings!

Only have a K&N cold air on it now. All stock. The most may be a cat back exhaust later. So I don't need a 1000ft lb. clutch. I see a lot of people going to the LS7. However I have also read that they weigh 8-10lbs heavier. I have used lightened crank pulleys on other cars and know that this helps add performance or quickens the revs. So why put this much more weight on the rotating mass making an LS1 lazier than stock?

Would the LS6 (ZO6) stock clutch work and with less weight? That one was to hold up to 385ft lbs torque for the LS6. I am stock 345hp (1997) so maybe 350 hp at best (K&N Mentioned) and probably no change in torque at 350ft lbs.

Is the LS2 the same clutch as the LS6?

Last edited by jarnold; 10-17-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:20 PM
jarnold
Advanced

Default No one has any idea of the weight differences?

No response? No one has experience with the LS7 clutch weight. Also wondering if the LUK Pro Gold 04-905 is the same clutch so the same weight?
Old 10-18-2016, 12:49 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I just put in an LS7 clutch but with the aluminum flywheel. I wasn't aware you could put it on the stock steel flywheel but I'm not up on such things. Mine certainly isn't lazy, and iirc, the LS7 weighs less (w/proper alum flywheel) than stock.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:48 PM
jarnold
Advanced

Default Aluminum Flywheel

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
I just put in an LS7 clutch but with the aluminum flywheel. I wasn't aware you could put it on the stock steel flywheel but I'm not up on such things. Mine certainly isn't lazy, and iirc, the LS7 weighs less (w/proper alum flywheel) than stock.
Yes I know about the Aluminum flywheel with the LS7 Clutch. Was yours the Fidanza and was their modifications and or a different Slave cylinder needed? Not going to go crazy with any power adders and want to keep it priced on the down low. Don't want the extra weight which they say will make it a bit lazy.

They have a kit with the stock type flywheel and that makes it heavier than original. C6 or LS2 would be good compromise I would think? They are 400 ft lbs and 400hp where as my 97 is 50 less on both ends.

Last edited by jarnold; 10-18-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:32 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

personally I wouldn't use an aluminum flywheel, the weight savings is an advantage but aluminum is more prone to warping under high heat which the clutch will see if you drive the car hard... now if you don't drive the car very hard then you would probably be fine since it won't ever get that hot... I would rather use a lightened billet steel flywheel if it were going in my car
Old 10-18-2016, 08:12 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by jarnold
Yes I know about the Aluminum flywheel with the LS7 Clutch. Was yours the Fidanza and was their modifications and or a different Slave cylinder needed? Not going to go crazy with any power adders and want to keep it priced on the down low. Don't want the extra weight which they say will make it a bit lazy.

They have a kit with the stock type flywheel and that makes it heavier than original. C6 or LS2 would be good compromise I would think? They are 400 ft lbs and 400hp where as my 97 is 50 less on both ends.
I bought mine as a kit so I can't tell you exactly what I got. It was new, never installed, but at a used price. (I'm a cheapo). It seems to work fine, but yes, I am considering pulling the thing and putting a shim behind the slave. It was terrible, then I replaced the master cyl, now it's 'ok', but I"d prefer a little quicker disengage. If I tear the car down again this fall/winter, it'll be getting a shim made for it.

@Neutron,
I'm not sure what you mean by using it hard. I should think you'd need to slip it a TON in order to get it hot. My last 6 spd car, bought new and w/155k miles on it, did not have so much as a wear mark on the flywheel (and I own a machine shop and resurface flywheels regularly). I would go out on a limb and say I don't slip my clutches much.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 Clutch Heavy slow revs?

Quick Reply: LS7 Clutch Heavy slow revs?