C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting front lowering bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 05:51 PM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Cutting front lowering bolts?

Hey guys, first actual post here (minus the introduction area....)I have tried searching for about a month now and cant find anything pertaining to this. That being said, attempted to lower the car on stock bolts about a month ago. All went well. Until I got to the LAST one (front drivers side.) It would NOT budge. I attempted EVERYTHING. PB blaster, kroil, ATF/Acetone (reapplied 2x day for 5 days without trying to break the bolts free.) Still wouldnt budge. One evening I may or may not have had a few beers and decided, "To hell with it......Ill throw some MAPP gas on it and be careful not to get any flame near the spring. Heated it up pretty well, grabbed my channel locks, and it finally broke free........Or so I thought. Turns out the insert was the part turning inside of the leaf spring.

That being said, I dont want to pull the entire leaf spring and replace it. I know a lot of Vette owners just remove their front bolts and most report no issues. This is not my DD so Im fine with it being VERY low. My question is, could I support the drivers side spring with a bottle jack and cut the lowering bolt flush with the bottom of the leaf spring? Has anyone done this before, or am I just being too lazy? Thanks in advance!
Old 10-22-2016, 03:53 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

While it is not the typical way of lowering the car and others have completely removed the bolts, I suppose you could cut the offending bolt as long as you don't nick the spring. My own car is lowered the maimum on the bolt and the bushing is cut in half, too. Its almost as low that way with no problems so that's why I think you'll be okay. It just might be a little noisier.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:11 PM
REDSEE5
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 108 Posts

Thanks! Ended up cutting the front bolts this morning (stayed away from the spring) and have two threads showing in the rear. It surprisingly rides better now and I LOVE the stance now!

Get notified of new replies

To Cutting front lowering bolts?

Quick Reply: Cutting front lowering bolts?