C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light weight clutch combo

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 01:19 PM
kirk tarrant
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Light weight clutch combo

seems every one is going ls7 clutch and flywheel combo.
i was looking at ACT as i always liked them in my subaru, all they offer is ls7 type set up and its about 45 lb with a pro light flywheel

i would like the lightest combo possible.

any one know what oem ls6 type clutch weights with out flywheel?
Old 11-13-2016, 09:25 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I have an act t2s-g01 twin disc in my car and it has been great, handles 800+ easily and hasn't given me any issues... like you, I used act when I messed with imports and always had good results so that's why I looked into them with this car but they aren't very popular with the corvette crowd... I don't remember the exact weights but the clutch I have with the flywheel was about 10lbs less than the oem ls6 clutch/flywheel... an aluminum flywheel would make it even lighter but personally I wouldn't do that, they are more prone to warping than steel and can cause driveability issues if you go too light
Old 11-14-2016, 03:15 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

ls6 is 50lbs with flywheel. find the flywheel weight and subtract from there. the ls7 is popular because it can be paired with an aluminum flywheel for a small weight reduction from stock but it also will hold a good 100hp more and drives....well...just like stock

the zr1 in the c6 uses a twin disc and it also can be adapted to work
Old 11-14-2016, 05:10 PM
kirk tarrant
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for input guys, i have been looking for non ls7 clutches and with out going with the 10.5 spec set up with aluminum pressure plate there in not much lighter then using a ls7 with a aluminum flywheel.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:12 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by kirk tarrant
Thanks for input guys, i have been looking for non ls7 clutches and with out going with the 10.5 spec set up with aluminum pressure plate there in not much lighter then using a ls7 with a aluminum flywheel.
unless you go with a twin disc there probably isn't a lot of difference. the BIG thing you have to keep in mind with the ls7 is what a great driver it is in traffic and on the street. many aftermarket clutches are simply crap when it comes to driving in traffic

if the ls7 can hold the power you are making it's just an excellent choice

Get notified of new replies

To Light weight clutch combo

Quick Reply: Light weight clutch combo