C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV mod to eliminate oil in intake -

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 11:00 AM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: PCV mod to eliminate oil in intake - (Chris@SpeedDemon)

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. The way I see it, we've got one of several options:

1. Leave the less-than-optimal LS1 PCV system alone and live with detonation, reduced octane fuel, etc.

2. Go to the LS-6 PCV system, which involves changing the Valley cover, plumbing, etc.

3. Ditch the LS1-PCV tube and valve between the driver's cylinder head and the throttle body and go with 1 or 2 breather filters sticking out of the valve covers

4. Leave everything stock and switch to this KrankVent super-PCV valve

5. Go to a pump catch/can setup like you mention.

Geez. This is getting confusing quick! ;) I guess we DIY guys need to know the +/- of each so we can make the right decision.

I've got the heads off my car right now and am cleaning the piston tops to remove all the carbon that has built up on them, and although I realize I can't keep the pistons looking new for 100K miles, there was a LOT of oil in the intake ports on my heads, and there's got to be SOME kind of solution to this. I'm sure this steals power across the board.

I'm willing to switch to a different setup, as long as I don't compromise piston ring life, or anything drastic like that! Is there not a happy medium?

Old 10-01-2002, 05:46 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: PCV mod to eliminate oil in intake - (rwj383)

I personally like the approach Mike (MELLOYELLOW) took...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=362010

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/mjarnoldp...tos.yahoo.com/

Old 10-01-2002, 09:58 PM
C5 Tweaker
Racer

Note that there is no POSITIVE crankcase ventilation with this modification. There will be significantly reduced evacuation of combustion byproducts and fuel resulting in much more rapid depletion of the oil's detergent capacity. (You will need to change your oil more often)
Old 10-01-2002, 10:41 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: PCV mod to eliminate oil in intake - (C5 Tweaker)

how does installing a Z06 intake alter / change this process? I know there is a slight change in the lines for the Z intake.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:45 PM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Default Re: PCV mod to eliminate oil in intake - (Gary2KC5)

The LS6 intake changes the coolant line setup under the intake, but not the PCV lines.

[Modified by MelloYellow, 10:46 PM 10/1/2002]
Old 10-02-2002, 04:17 AM
QuickSilver2002
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: PCV mod to eliminate oil in intake - (MelloYellow)

Ok guys, you have me confused now.

I don't think the KrankVent solution is a solution for this problem. I'm pretty sure that is specific to FI cars where boost is putting the valve cover under positive pressure by overpowering the weak PCV check valve.

Still not sure if the ls6 has this problem (oil in the intake) at all. If not, does this apply to any '02 or just the ls6?

This may be a stupid question, but why is this thing designed this way? What is the real flaw? Did they not expect this much oil in the blowby. I thought it was suppose to be mainly gasses.

I also have a post in the FI section asking for more clarification on this.

Old 10-02-2002, 08:49 AM
C5 Tweaker
Racer

Note that there is no POSITIVE crankcase ventilation with this modification. There will be significantly reduced evacuation of combustion byproducts and fuel resulting in much more rapid depletion of the oil's detergent capacity. (You will need to change your oil more often)
This is in reference to using the breathers without the PCV connection.

I have a catch can and retrofitted the Z06 valley cover as well (slight clearancing of the block required!). I would say the Z06 valley cover dropped the amount of oil captured in the catch can by almost half. I am capturing 1-2 tablespoons of oil in the catch can per week. Even with the baffles present in the new valley cover, some vapor still gets by. The addition of coalescing media (mesh) in side the Z06 valley cover may help.

The PCV oil problem is not as much of a problem as people make it out to be, particularly if you have the Z06 valley cover, or do not do frequent hard cornering (track days, autocross, etc.)

The PCV oil concern should not be confused with the well known piston ring issues. The oil through the PCV is neglegible in comparison to the oil from the rings in many cases.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:10 AM
MattG
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I, II, III, IV & V Veteran
CI-I & II Auto-X Champ

Does anyone have the GM Part # for the Z06 valley cover? Is there any other pieces than it that are needed? This sounds like something I want to put on my engine as I do quite a bit of hard cornering in AutoX and Roadracing..

Right now with my Airline Oil Seperator I am running I get a few table spoons of oil in it after a hard half hour of roadcourse lapping.. I just bought a catch can with an air breather on the top that we are going to hook up and mount somewhere under the hood.. I will take pics when it is done.

Old 10-02-2002, 10:18 AM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

I have a catch can and retrofitted the Z06 valley cover as well (slight clearancing of the block required!).
Uh oh, now this is sounding a bit serious. What type of 'clearancing' of the block are we talking about? Shaving some metal off to get this cover to fit, etc.?

I'm with MattG, a part # would be much appreciated, as it will help us out immensely. I've got my engine tore down now, and if I'm going to benefit from swapping the valley cover, I might as well do it now while the block is exposed. Thanks!!
Old 10-02-2002, 11:12 AM
MelloYellow
Le Mans Master

Default Re: PCV mod to eliminate oil in intake - (WhitneyR)

FI setups have a different issue. The solution is a check valve in between the intake and the PCV valve.
Old 10-02-2002, 12:54 PM
Flyin'Brian
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: PCV mod to eliminate oil in intake - (MattG)

ls6 valley cover P/N 12568002 :cheers:
Old 10-02-2002, 12:56 PM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

Default Re: PCV mod to eliminate oil in intake - (Flyin'Brian)

Is the valley cover all that we need for the conversion? Can we leave the rest of the PCV system stock and realize the benefits?

Is this a straight bolt-on replacement for the LS1's?

Thanks for the part #!
Old 10-02-2002, 01:18 PM
Flyin'Brian
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

There is also a bent steel line (180 deg) with a rubber thingy on the end.
Not sure of the P/N, but I can post it tonite when I get home.
Old 10-02-2002, 01:42 PM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

Default Re: PCV mod to eliminate oil in intake - (Flyin'Brian)

That would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 10-03-2002, 03:13 AM
BigBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: PCV mod to eliminate oil in intake - (dads01dream)

Let me add this in real quick. A buddy of mine with a 00 V6 Stang did the same mod to his PCV. Removed the line and put a breather on there. After a while of driving, he noticed he was leaking a lot of oil. So he went to the dealer and they said it was caused by the breather cap. Apparently when he capped it off like that, it pressurized the system and blew his gaskets. Now maybe it's different for the LS1's but I would figure that the same logic would apply.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:22 PM
C5 Tweaker
Racer

There is a casting protrusion in the valley between cylinders 2 and 4. You need to cut just just enough of the outer wall wall so that you are cutting into the cavity. Once you have cut mostly to the bottom, you can easily snap the outer edge off with a pliars.

Cover the valley well with towels, and use a vacuum during and after. It cuts easily with a hacksaw.

The valley cover is an impressive piece of hardware, with gasket and bolts, while the stupid little U tube costs twice as much.

If you use the catch can with a breather, you will want to remove the breather and cap the top. If you have the same Jaz can as I, you can go the HELP section of the auto parts store and get a 1" push-in fastener that will epoxy to the top and look factory.

If you are supercharging, a valve in the PCV will benefit. Otherwise not.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:52 PM
AllCammedUp
Drifting

There is a casting protrusion in the valley between cylinders 2 and 4. You need to cut just just enough of the outer wall wall so that you are cutting into the cavity. Once you have cut mostly to the bottom, you can easily snap the outer edge off with a pliars.
Cover the valley well with towels, and use a vacuum during and after. It cuts easily with a hacksaw.

The valley cover is an impressive piece of hardware, with gasket and bolts, while the stupid little U tube costs twice as much.
Does anyone have any pictures of the before and after on this mod (with the valley cover removed)? I can picture what I *think* this looks like in my mind, but if I go to do it for real, how can I be sure I'm doing it the right way?

Thanks!!

Get notified of new replies

To PCV mod to eliminate oil in intake -

Old 10-05-2002, 11:24 AM
C5 Tweaker
Racer

Old 10-13-2002, 05:27 AM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

my update: i have had the breathers on both valve covers since the motor was completed and running 2 weeks ago. I have put over 600 miles on the car in varying ways. Obviously, i do not have a lick of oil in the intake. also, i am not getting much, if any, oil on the external engine/valve covers. The breathers do work great. This is the cheapest and a very effective answer to the problem. I see this post has elicited several ideas, many of them should work. So, to each his own!! Just keep the oil out of the intake, is what i say....
Old 10-13-2002, 11:15 PM
Redline Motorsports
Melting Slicks

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Can I assume that if you already have an LS6 block you will not need to modify the casting??

Any of you guys that had oil consumption problems; where you smelling any of the burning oil and if so did it go away after this mod??

Quick Reply: PCV mod to eliminate oil in intake -