TPMS problems - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS problems

Old 02-11-2017, 05:02 PM
zet06
CF Senior Member

Default TPMS problems

I just purchased a 1999 convertible ( 35k miles) and the minute you turn on the ignition , " service "TPMS" comes up. Person I bought it from said it had always done that and ignored it. Tires were changed by the first owner, Goodyears are gone and BS are on it, but it still has monitors.
Any ideas on the first step
Old 02-11-2017, 05:14 PM
8VETTE7
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,809 Times in 1,606 Posts

Originally Posted by zet06 View Post
I just purchased a 1999 convertible ( 35k miles) and the minute you turn on the ignition , " service "TPMS" comes up. Person I bought it from said it had always done that and ignored it. Tires were changed by the first owner, Goodyears are gone and BS are on it, but it still has monitors.
Any ideas on the first step
Likely the batteries in the TPMS are dead. You can try training them and see if the horn will honk when you try any of them:

If you cannot get the horn to honk when trying to train any of them then either the batteries are dead or there are no TPMS installed.

If/when you go to replace the TPMS, I urge you caution on after market brands. Many, many, many threads by members that wanted to save a few bucks and tried the aftermarket brands only to have huge problems trying to get them to train to the C5. Most after market brands do NOT use a magnet to train. They require either a proprietary programming tool or sometimes letting air out of the tire to get it to communicate.

The TPMS for the early year cars (97 - 2000) are different than and not compatible with the TPMS for the later year C5's. Also significantly more expensive.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:49 AM
NorthernProducer
CF Senior Member

Agree that the TPMS batteries are shot. Schrader makes the correct sensor for the 1997 - 2000 Vettes. It is their part number 28006. I just replaced sensors in my 1999 C5 with these and had no problems with installation or the "learning" procedure. BTW...Tire Rack had the best price I could find. Good Luck and let us know how things turn out...
The Following User Says Thank You to NorthernProducer For This Useful Post:
dagreycoyote (03-23-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPMS problems

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: