C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much can ls6 heads be milled?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 06:32 PM
WhiteVette007
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much can ls6 heads be milled?

If I was keeping stock cam and pistons, how much can the heads be milled? I've read .065 but how much more than that can it go?
​​​​
Old 02-14-2017, 06:40 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

It is better to go with a thinner head gasket for quench and lower detonation. The chamber is maybe 2/3 the size of the bore so a .020" would have about the same effect as milling .030". I don't see why you would want a compression ratio that high because you will see diminishing returns and have detonation problems. Personally I would just deck the head .007" or so to make it flat and go with a .040" head gasket. That might bring you up to about, say 11.4 to 1 compression (still good for premium fuel if you lower the temps a bit). That might bring the HP up ~4% (~17hp).

Sorry I can't answer the milling question. Your concern is valve to piston clearance, right?

Last edited by Rob 02; 02-14-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:57 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Why would you want to go to the trouble of doing the head milling, and reuse a stock cam? You don't need a big, hard to drive cam to get a nice HP boost. For the money, and you're almost there mechanically, do the proper mods, like liifters, buckets, timing chain and oil pump. More compression is good depending on tune, and quality of fuel. More than HP, it gives you more torque. I've found it's easier to spend a little more and do it right the first time.

Get notified of new replies

To How much can ls6 heads be milled?

Quick Reply: How much can ls6 heads be milled?