C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump

Old 02-17-2017, 08:22 AM
cobra3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel Pump

Well it looks like it's fuel pump time for my 02 coupe so I wanted to ask everyone which pump are you using for the replacement. I don't want to replace the pumps and then have to do it again in a year because I put in a bad pump. I just wanted to get an idea of what brand pump people are putting back in to see if they are going with the oem or if there is a better replacement for it. Thanks for any advice, it's always appreciated.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:48 AM
skip1980
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra3
Well it looks like it's fuel pump time for my 02 coupe so I wanted to ask everyone which pump are you using for the replacement. I don't want to replace the pumps and then have to do it again in a year because I put in a bad pump. I just wanted to get an idea of what brand pump people are putting back in to see if they are going with the oem or if there is a better replacement for it. Thanks for any advice, it's always appreciated.
I used the racetronix C5 pump with hotwire kit. FYI you don't have to purchase the hotwire kit. Pump was a direct bolt it.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:30 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

while I am not qualified to give advice on this subject, I was told by three corvette restoration experts speaking to a group at a car museum :

Always by factory parts unless cost is a factor.

I don't always follow this advice, they were specifically restoration experts, and not into repair, but find it a useful touchstone for making buying decisions, as I don't really have the chops to know how one part might be superior to another, and have to follow the advice of others with higher skill levels when making buying decisions.

On the other hand, it's not top secret knowledge , anyone in the industry can build a good pump, and manufacturing always improves. OEM is designed as part of the overall system, so one knows the fit and function will hold no surprises. Kind of dull, in a world of advertising.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:21 PM
skip1980
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If you stick with a good brand like delco,denso,delphi, walbro (racetronix) you should be fine.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:38 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

mods?... if stock or not a considerable amount of power over stock the walbro drop in kit from racetronix is a great setup... it's already assembled in a new bucket with thicker gauge wiring as well so it makes the swap easy, just switch over your fuel level sender and attach the feed hose and that's about it... I would highly suggest buying it with the hotwire harness as well, basically that is just a heavy gauge wire that pulls power for the pump directly from the alternator so you don't lose voltage through the factory wiring

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Pump

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Pump