C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 08:03 PM
mjmcclain3
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1998 corvette

has anyone had probs with the ABS or the steering column on there 97 to 99 corvette ?
Old 03-30-2017, 08:39 PM
Mace
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mjmcclain3
has anyone had probs with the ABS or the steering column on there 97 to 99 corvette ?
abs yes steering coluum no
The following users liked this post:
mjmcclain3 (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 09:07 PM
mjmcclain3
Intermediate

Default Abs

Originally Posted by Mace
what did you end up doing about youre ABS
Old 03-30-2017, 09:21 PM
mjmcclain3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
By steering column are you referring to the C5 Column Lock problem????

It is not a case of IF the column lock problem rears its head but rather a matter of WHEN....
yes on a 98. its supposed to been fixed on recall years ago i need to research that
Old 03-30-2017, 09:24 PM
mjmcclain3
Intermediate

yes i think it was fixed on recall years ago
Old 03-30-2017, 10:35 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

I think the following is true regarding the EBCM's from piecing together various threads. Others please correct as needed.

There were two different ABS units (EBCM's) for the years in question. Through early 1998 build dates, the C5's had ABS only - no AH. The pre-AH ABS units also had two different positions on the car - front or rear. Mine is an early '98 (built July '97) and it has the ABS unit at the rear.

Again, I believe from reading comments here, though I am not certain, that it is the AH equipped cars that have the most trouble. The early ABS-only unit I am pretty certain was also used on other GM vehicles - someone reported on here that the same GM part number showed up for a Pontiac.

Neither type is spared by GM.

Personally, I have had no trouble is this area - I did have the column lock recall done twice - there were different versions (aka, attempts to solve the problem) of the fix. The "final", final GM fix, where they basically remove the lock plate seems to be good - it was done years ago, no problems since. But that fix also means the column lock no longer works at all of course.

Last edited by jackthelad; 03-30-2017 at 10:41 PM.
mjmcclain3 (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 07:23 AM
mjmcclain3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
The GM Recall Service is well known to NOT be a permanent fix for the C5 Column Lock symptoms. As a new Forum member you just have not yet had a chance to read the many thousands of Column Lock problems that are posted here each year. There is even a Stickey that is over 100 pages long with nearly 2200 posts and that is just the Sticky here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ky-please.html

There are typically a dozen or more new threads each month on top of the sticky.

Only permanent solution to the C5 Column Lock symptoms is the LMC5. Read about it here:

www.complianceparts.com

Then order and install one BEFORE you get left stranded by the column lock symptoms.........
thany you sounds like a good idea !
Old 03-31-2017, 07:24 AM
mjmcclain3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jackthelad
I think the following is true regarding the EBCM's from piecing together various threads. Others please correct as needed.

There were two different ABS units (EBCM's) for the years in question. Through early 1998 build dates, the C5's had ABS only - no AH. The pre-AH ABS units also had two different positions on the car - front or rear. Mine is an early '98 (built July '97) and it has the ABS unit at the rear.

Again, I believe from reading comments here, though I am not certain, that it is the AH equipped cars that have the most trouble. The early ABS-only unit I am pretty certain was also used on other GM vehicles - someone reported on here that the same GM part number showed up for a Pontiac.

Personally, I have had no trouble is this area - I did have the column lock recall done twice - there were different versions (aka, attempts to solve the problem) of the fix. The "final", final GM fix, where they basically remove the lock plate seems to be good - it was done years ago, no problems since. But that fix also means the column lock no longer works at all of course.
what is AH and how do i no which one i have ?
Old 03-31-2017, 07:33 AM
mjmcclain3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mace
did you have to get another ABS? read about the steering lock. this seems good idea , LMC5 module .
Old 03-31-2017, 08:59 AM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

I am the original owner of a 98 coupe and "jackthelads" write up is close to my experience with the exception that my 98 is a non-AH with the ABS located in the engine compartment (up front). Other than one occasion due to corroded connector on the left front sensor I have had no (fingers crossed) problems with my ABS.

Jackthelads comments on the column lock mirror my experience. First GM recall was a disaster, second recall has worked to date. I do however carry a LMC5 kit in the glove box.
mjmcclain3 (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 09:08 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mjmcclain3
what is AH and how do i no which one i have ?
AH is the Auto Handling, i.e. ESC package - you would have a button on the center console to control it. All I have is a ASC (antilock) button - either it's on, normal, or off, warning light in the dash. If you have ASC only, kook under the rear of the car by the diff for a square box bolted on back there. It attaches to a valve block which has the brake pipes going to/from. If not there it will under the hood toward the front driver's side.

You can go to http://www.c5registry.com/MembersOnl...n/98c5prod.htm, to get your build date from your VIN number.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:12 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MAC5
First GM recall was a disaster, second recall has worked to date. I do however carry a LMC5 kit in the glove box.
When the lock would not release one day (after the first recall), I freed it by having the battery charger on for a while, then starting it with the charger set to "boost". I guess that shoved the voltage up just enough that the lock freed quite normally. Another indication of just how voltage sensitive these cars are, I guess.

Anyway, good to hear from another "from new" owner.
mjmcclain3 (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 10:42 AM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

When the lock would not release one day (after the first recall), I freed it by having the battery charger on for a while, then starting it with the charger set to "boost". I guess that shoved the voltage up just enough that the lock freed quite normally. Another indication of just how voltage sensitive these cars are, I guess.

Anyway, good to hear from another "from new" owner.
Likewise, I was going to include a comment about the battery voltage but I forgot, there have been several comments about that over the years.
mjmcclain3 (03-31-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 03:11 PM
mjmcclain3
Intermediate

[QUOTE=jackthelad;1594424732]When the lock would not release one day (after the first recall), I freed it by having the battery charger on for a while, then starting it with the charger set to "boost". I guess that shoved the voltage up just enough that the lock freed quite normally. Another indication of just how voltage sensitive these cars are, I guess.

Anyway, good to hear from another "from new" owner.[

Last edited by mjmcclain3; 04-07-2017 at 03:22 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:34 PM
mjmcclain3
Intermediate

after you have removed the steering lock on the 98 can you still hear it whine when you turn the car off ?

Get notified of new replies

To 1998 corvette

Quick Reply: 1998 corvette