C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about C5 door speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 12:41 AM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Question about C5 door speakers

I am on an ongoing project to upgrade parts of the sound system in my 99 C5 Coupe. Recently changed the head unit and today the front tweeters. Before I started the tweeter change out, I discovered the driver-side door woofer is not working. The tweeter works, but nothing from the woofer.

I proceeded to change the tweeters in the right and left doors. Everything works and sounds good, but no driver side woofer.

Questions:
1. if the tweeter in the driver side doors are working, does that mean that the Bose amp in the drivers side door is working properly?

2. The C5 woofer looks completely different from anything I have seen, can the speaker itself be removed and install. Or, does the complete unit need to be replaced?

3. How can I test to confirm that the issue is with the Bose door speaker amp or the woofer itself?
Old 04-03-2017, 03:20 AM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

See answers in Quote.

Originally Posted by gpruitt54
I am on an ongoing project to upgrade parts of the sound system in my 99 C5 Coupe. Recently changed the head unit and today the front tweeters. Before I started the tweeter change out, I discovered the driver-side door woofer is not working. The tweeter works, but nothing from the woofer.

I proceeded to change the tweeters in the right and left doors. Everything works and sounds good, but no driver side woofer.

Questions:
1. if the tweeter in the driver side doors are working, does that mean that the Bose amp in the drivers side door is working properly?

The amp for the 3.5" speakers in the doors and the rear speakers is in the radio head unit itself. The 8" woofers in the doors have their own amp in the housing that the 3.5" speaker mounts to. There is a signal processor under the dash above the gas pedal that splits the output from the radio to the various amp modules.

So, there is a relay and fuse in the passenger foot well fuse box for the amps for the woofers. I do not recall if there are 1 or 2 fuses for these.
A couple of things to check:
1. The wire harness going through the accordion tube checking for damaged or broken wiring.
2. Fuse #28 and relay #45, it looks like these are common for both doors.

2. The C5 woofer looks completely different from anything I have seen, can the speaker itself be removed and install. Or, does the complete unit need to be replaced?

The woofer can be replaced however, it can only be replaced with another woofer from a C5. May people sell the complete speaker pod.

3. How can I test to confirm that the issue is with the Bose door speaker amp or the woofer itself?

You can swap the speaker pod between the doors, or just buy another working speaker pod. They are not side specific.
From my experience, the woofer is probably bad.
Now since you are using an aftermarket radio, did you get the correct interface adapter to maintain the functionality of the Bose system. IIRC the most common one is the PAC AOEM-VET1. This keeps all the Bose components working with an aftermarket radio.

Gary
Old 04-03-2017, 05:06 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
See answers in Quote.

From my experience, the woofer is probably bad.
Now since you are using an aftermarket radio, did you get the correct interface adapter to maintain the functionality of the Bose system. IIRC the most common one is the PAC AOEM-VET1. This keeps all the Bose components working with an aftermarket radio.

Gary
Yes, I bought all the correct items for the head unit swap, including the Bose interface module. Pick up everything from Double D Mods. I bought the car last year and I have never tested each speaker group. So, for all I know, the door woofer has never worked.

Everything works except the left door woofer.
I will look to the fuse box in the passenger foot well.

Last edited by gpruitt54; 04-03-2017 at 05:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about C5 door speakers

Quick Reply: Question about C5 door speakers