C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABSFixer Question

Old 04-08-2017, 08:57 PM
BigBossMY03Z
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default ABSFixer Question

I just removed my EBCM which has been throwing non-stop C1214 codes for months now, I am planning to send it off to ABS Fixer to get it repaired. I see they have an option to do a surge suppression upgrade for $50 which should increase the longevity of the EBCM. Has anyone who sent their EBCM to ABS Fixer to get repaired gone with this option to report on it? I'm leaning toward just going ahead and doing it if it helps reduce stress on the component, but wondered if anyone else had feedback on it.

Oh yeah, one other thing. Any recommendations on how to package this EBCM safely? I want to be sure it arrives intact considering it's an expensive little thing.

Last edited by BigBossMY03Z; 04-08-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:41 PM
delta_bratwurst
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Cant speak for the $50 surge protection, but in terms of packing, just wrap it in a **** ton of bubble wrap.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:32 AM
silverbird
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I went with the $50 surge suppression upgrade when I did mine.
It's only been 1,700 miles, but, so far, so good.
Silverbird
Old 04-10-2017, 10:03 AM
tombrammer
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I get this code almost every time I drive, I'm new to the C5 what are you thinking about this code and sending the ECBM in to ABS fixer? The code is; "Sol Valve Relay Contact or Coil CKT Open", is this relay in the ECBM? I heard from another C5 owner that you can jack up the rear and run the car in gear and the solenoid will cycle back and forth and begin working again is this true? Is sending the ECBM off for the fix the only way to remedy this?
Old 04-11-2017, 12:31 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
What year is your C5??? C1214 can only be repaired on 2001 - 2004 model years. No repairs possible on 1997 - 2000 EBCM.

No truth to clearing a C1214 by running the car in gear on jack stands. Either the relay has broken solder joints on the board in the EBCM or the relay has failed. Neither of those two things can be repaired UNLESS you remove the EBCM, open it up and repair the problem..... There is a pump motor stalled code that CAN be cleared by running the car on stands and applying the brakes. No access to my code list info so I can't tell you the code for pump stalled.

If you are a DIY'er you can pull the EBCM off the car and repair the relay yourself . Go to this link for details:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-fleabay.html
Sticky at the top of the page states that you can convert 99-00 EBCM to 01-04 EBCM successfully.
Has anyone else been able to confirm that this is a viable option?
Old 04-11-2017, 01:33 PM
tombrammer
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
What year is your C5??? C1214 can only be repaired on 2001 - 2004 model years. No repairs possible on 1997 - 2000 EBCM.

No truth to clearing a C1214 by running the car in gear on jack stands. Either the relay has broken solder joints on the board in the EBCM or the relay has failed. Neither of those two things can be repaired UNLESS you remove the EBCM, open it up and repair the problem..... There is a pump motor stalled code that CAN be cleared by running the car on stands and applying the brakes. No access to my code list info so I can't tell you the code for pump stalled.

If you are a DIY'er you can pull the EBCM off the car and repair the relay yourself . Go to this link for details:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r-fleabay.html
I have a 2001, thanks for the good info!!
Old 04-12-2017, 11:36 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by tombrammer
I get this code almost every time I drive, I'm new to the C5 what are you thinking about this code and sending the ECBM in to ABS fixer? The code is; "Sol Valve Relay Contact or Coil CKT Open", is this relay in the ECBM? I heard from another C5 owner that you can jack up the rear and run the car in gear and the solenoid will cycle back and forth and begin working again is this true? Is sending the ECBM off for the fix the only way to remedy this?
The relay is in the EBCM. That relay is controlled by the EBCM and provides a current path to turn on the brake pressure modulator valve (BPMV). The EBCM is attached to the BPMV and the BPMV is the thing at the left front side of the engine that has all of the brake lines going to it. The relay in the EBCM usually goes bad due to a problem in the BPMV motor circuit. If the windings in the motor start to develop a high impedance short to case ground or the motor doesn't turn fast enough excessive current is drawn through the relay in the EBCM and the relay burns out or starts providing intermittent contact.

ABS Fixer replaces the relay with one that can take more current and that might make the code go away but may not fix the ABS since the pump motor still isn't running properly. There is also a code that comes if the pump motor isn't turning fast enough.

The thing to remember is that a repaired relay in the EBCM may not truly resolve the issue. That is why the C1214 Diagnostic Procedure provides steps for checking out the BPMV while investigating the fault.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To ABSFixer Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABSFixer Question