C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HVAC issue (not the usual)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Ph300zx
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default HVAC issue (not the usual)

Apologies if this is long winded but I'm at a loss. A while ago I repaired the dim display in my HVAC. All was well. Used the car for a while before starting to replace the back lights with LEDs. Got half way done, ran out of LEDs so put the unit back in the car. Worked fine no issues.

Today I finished replacing the LEDs. I've left the bulbs that light up when the relevant button is pressed (orange ones). Put the unit back in and it's doing something strange.

When i turn the ignition on, all the orange bulbs light up as if all the buttons are pushed, and stay on. The display is very dim again, and shows full fan constantly. When turning the car off, one of the orange bulbs stays on as well.

Apart from the random lights it still works fine, although I've no idea what it's doing as all the lights are on!

Anyone had anything similar? Could the issue be that I've swapped the LEDs and left the bulbs in as well? Perhaps drawing less current or something.

At a loss right now, any help appreciated.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:42 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

an LED or two in backwards? They are polarized.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:22 PM
Ph300zx
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jcgunn
an LED or two in backwards? They are polarized.
l don't think so, all the LEDs come on as they should, I'll double check them though.

Last edited by Ph300zx; 04-23-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:31 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

I would pull it apart again and look for an accidental drip of solder or a new led light wire that may need to be trimmed a little more, perhaps it's touching the other board when you put it back together. I would also lightly refresh the 8 resistors with the soldering iron. If you take it apart again, post some pics of the boards, maybe we can spot the trouble area.

Get notified of new replies

To HVAC issue (not the usual)

Quick Reply: HVAC issue (not the usual)