C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which race seats for almost all street car? Daily drivable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:21 PM
-98-z28-darkness-
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default which race seats for almost all street car? Daily drivable?

I know its come up before. but i wanted to see how people like there race or aftermarket sport seats.
other threads i found where over 10 years old so maybe they are now better seats and value.

i tend to drive my car in the canyon roads maybe 1-2 times a month and find myself holding on to the steering wheel on a tight fast turns not getting to any support from my worn down sport seats.
car is supercharged 01 with suspension upgrades.

looking for some great seats that will keep my butt planted and can still can do a cross country trip-6hrs. (does it exist?)

some that i have seen
Corbeau A4 Racing Seats (yes i know its a oxymoron reclining racing seat, but i may never see a autocross event just occasional winding roads)

Corbeau FX1 Pro (most reasonable for the price. want to know how this one holds up on performance and also daily driving.

sparco evo 2

will any of these be ok to use with stock seat belt? what modification will be needed to mount them?
thanks for the help.

Last edited by -98-z28-darkness-; 05-08-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:41 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Corbeau A4s will work with stock seatbelts, just have to move the belt receptacle to the Corbeau base rail bolt. No mods to the car to make them fit, but they are tight, and you should swap the Driver with the Passenger seat (the seat recline lever needs to be next to the tunnel, not the door.) These seats keep you very planted, and are super comfortable. I added about a 1 inch stack of fender washers between the front rail bracket and the floorpan, to recline the bottom cushion a bit.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ersatz928; 05-09-2017 at 04:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
runner140* (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 09:00 AM
-98-z28-darkness-
Instructor

Originally Posted by ersatz928
Corbeau A4s will work with stock seatbelts, just have to move the belt receptacle to the Corbeau base rail bolt. No mods to the car to make them fit, but they are tight, and you should swap the Driver with the Passenger seat (the seat recline lever needs to be next to the tunnel, not the door.) These seats keep you very planted, and are super comfortable. I added about a 1 inch stack of fender washers between the front rail bracket and the floorpan, to recline the bottom cushion a bit.
great thanks for the reply. mind if i ask your size. im on the smaller side 5'10 33" waist 175lbs im worried it wont hold me tight enough on the turns...
Old 05-10-2017, 07:28 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

When I installed them I was a 34 waist, 185lbs......last time I sat in these I was 38 waist, and 220 pounds. They held me in fine at a 34 inch waist...certainly way better than the joke stock seats!
Old 05-10-2017, 10:02 PM
MX621
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I just drove 4+ hours in my z from skyline drive with my A4's, zero issues or back pain for me. they are a great seat for the money in my opinion. I'm 6,3 225lb 36" waist. They fit me very snug, but not uncomfortable.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:19 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 736 Likes on 546 Posts

My experience: the A4s are 'OK'. Lacking much lumbar support, even with that option. I added the spacers under the F of the bracket too, otherwise I found them to be too flat to the floor for comfort. Not the best lateral support, but better than stock.
6', 180lb. my issue with the stock seats was the position... seemed like I needed to slouch to see under the windshield frame. Got the shaved base option, took care of that.
I'm satisfied with them.
Other options that have fixed backrests and better lateral support might be damn unpleasant to get into and out of on a daily basis.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:09 AM
Swoop Dogg
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by -98-z28-darkness-
I know its come up before. but i wanted to see how people like there race or aftermarket sport seats.
other threads i found where over 10 years old so maybe they are now better seats and value.

i tend to drive my car in the canyon roads maybe 1-2 times a month and find myself holding on to the steering wheel on a tight fast turns not getting to any support from my worn down sport seats.
car is supercharged 01 with suspension upgrades.

looking for some great seats that will keep my butt planted and can still can do a cross country trip-6hrs. (does it exist?)

some that i have seen
Corbeau A4 Racing Seats (yes i know its a oxymoron reclining racing seat, but i may never see a autocross event just occasional winding roads)

Corbeau FX1 Pro (most reasonable for the price. want to know how this one holds up on performance and also daily driving.

sparco evo 2

will any of these be ok to use with stock seat belt? what modification will be needed to mount them?
thanks for the help.

I currently have a4s and have had fx1 pros. For daily I prefer the a4s. I'm a bit bigger so I'm not "snug" in the a4s, and they were a trade and fairly certain they are old. The fx1 pros did a great job holding me in, but due to the high bolster and low center of gravity, they weren't easy to get out of.

Baldwin Park huh? I'm in Duarte. I assume canyons is Azusa canyon/gmr?
Old 05-11-2017, 09:54 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by MX621
I just drove 4+ hours in my z from skyline drive with my A4's, zero issues or back pain for me. they are a great seat for the money in my opinion. I'm 6,3 225lb 36" waist. They fit me very snug, but not uncomfortable.
I have A4's as well - on a longer drive I'll put a small cushion under my butt so the bolsters don't wack my thighs as much - but on track day that gets tossed out the window!
Old 05-16-2017, 11:16 AM
joezr2
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I have no experience with the stock seats but I can confirm that the A4s are both supportive and comfortable. My wife likes them too.....also the picture ersatz928 posted above is now my car

I'm 6'1 and about 195lbs & 36" waist. I'm not sure they would be very comfortable for anyone too much larger than me. My stepdad (6'3/220lbs) hates them.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:09 PM
-98-z28-darkness-
Instructor

Originally Posted by Swoop Dogg
I currently have a4s and have had fx1 pros. For daily I prefer the a4s. I'm a bit bigger so I'm not "snug" in the a4s, and they were a trade and fairly certain they are old. The fx1 pros did a great job holding me in, but due to the high bolster and low center of gravity, they weren't easy to get out of.

Baldwin Park huh? I'm in Duarte. I assume canyons is Azusa canyon/gmr?
actually living in venice now and discovered the malibu canyons 1000x better worth the drive.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:31 AM
nsogiba
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 233 Posts

I love the S2000 seats in my C5, but they obviously not a bolt in install. Well worth the custom fab, they really modernize the interior.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:24 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I am happy with my Corbeau FX1-Pro seats. They hold me very well on the track, and are comfortable to drive on the street. (once you get in them. )
Old 05-20-2017, 11:52 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

I run A4's - and put a cushion under my butt for longer trips so the bolsters don't hit my thighs too much....

Get notified of new replies

To which race seats for almost all street car? Daily drivable?

Quick Reply: which race seats for almost all street car? Daily drivable?