C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General questions about my C5

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 02:29 PM
Surveillancemike
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default General questions about my C5

Hello everyone,
Last time i posted, i was looking at buying a Vette. Now 6 or so years later i have my first dream C5! Here the run down: its the Lemans 24hr Commemorative Edition. I found it at a Auto Broker. Here is what i know- the preavious owner was modding it to go faster. It is SUPER loupy, and was told it has a racing cam (unknown make) it also has a little rich fuel smell on start up, Racing headers, Vera-Ram, and straight pipes. I do not see a cat on the pipes, and ther is no muffler, so its a bit loud 😊.
I also suspect it has aftermarket/racing injectors. She will start up cold no issues. After driving, if shes still hot, then she will start then stall unless i giver gas till she catches and idles normal. I read on aftermarket part seller that improved injectors can do this, but i dont know?!?!?
I will leave it there, and please let me know what you may think about the injectors, or if i need to post some pics to help 🙃
Thank u
Old 05-16-2017, 03:28 PM
AnabolicZod
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

First of all - Congrats and welcome to the madness! lol

Hard to say what the issue could be. If I were you, I would pull any/all codes from the DIC. Definitely read the sticky "Newbie's Must Read" thread - tons of helpful tips there.

I'm a newer owner as well and have much to learn. You've come to the right place - there are a lot of helpful peeps on this forum that can point you in the right direction.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:41 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Exactly same thought, pull and post the codes if any; C & H.
It might need a decent tune, a street driven tune (without knowing the innards).
Old 05-16-2017, 05:05 PM
Surveillancemike
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
Exactly same thought, pull and post the codes if any; C & H.
It might need a decent tune, a street driven tune (without knowing the innards).
I sometimes get codes, but they mostly due to an alignment being needed, causing the traction system to go off line. I recently got a code for mot enough full/air mix, but i had stopped on a steep hill and the computer tripped. There is nothing that ever has the C at then, just the H. I will look thru my pics, i took pics of all the codes when i first got her.

I think a tune would be my next big investment, but im toying with the idea of adding a turbo/blower kit, and dont know if i have to add other parts, like clutch, new rear end, etc. I was just curious if anyone has ever heard of the cold start/hot start issue before. She runs great agter i get to catch idle when hot, just a tic i want to address.

Also, does anyone really like the "bose" speakers in the car? My is so loud inside, after a certain point, they make a popping sound when my vol is up. Super annoying when im trying to jam!
Old 05-16-2017, 05:18 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

The cold/hot issue is most likely in the tune. Check codes first but my guess is the tune was half done.

If you add FI to the car you'll have an issue because the cam may not work well with it. It may function but possibly not well and could yield poor numbers.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:20 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Mike - I think your post and questions would be better suited in the C5 Tech section. I'm moving it over there for some responses.
The following users liked this post:
Surveillancemike (05-17-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 08:02 PM
Rob 02
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 429 Likes on 398 Posts

It may be that your cam is so radical that it doesn't want to stay running at idle. It sounds like it may need a tune.

You can replace the front 3.5 speakers and rear 6.5 speakers (5.25 for FRC or vert) with the speaker of your choice. I like the Polk Audio db series for the price. ~$50/pair.
Upgrading the stock speakers is a cheap way to to improve the audio.
The following users liked this post:
Surveillancemike (05-17-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 10:59 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

The rich fuel smell is from not having cats to burn up the excess fuel, thus the smell. No biggie but it bothers some people (not me). I wouldn't worry very much about the injectors at this point. As previously stated, it's probably an issue with the tuning that could be remedied by a competent Vette tuner. Get the tune fixed then worry about the injectors. A cam, headers and cold air don't require much larger injectors than the factory ones. When you start adding stuff like turbos, superchargers, heads, etc... then you need to worry more about fuel. Also finish your profile. If we knew where you were located, we might be able to suggest a good tuner!

Last edited by CactusCat; 05-18-2017 at 11:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To General questions about my C5

Quick Reply: General questions about my C5