C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Disc Minimum Thickness

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 08:20 PM
WRE
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clutch Disc Minimum Thickness

How do you know when a clutch disc needs to be replaced?

A new stock clutch disc has radiating grooves around the disc. Are these a wear indicator? I have seen some posts around the internet that claim that the disc needs to be replaced when these grooves are no longer visible.

I have also seen posts that refer to a clutch thickness measurement, or a measurement off the rivet heads.

What is the correct way for determining if a clutch is at the end of it's life, or gauging how much life is left?
Old 05-21-2017, 08:53 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 664 Likes on 532 Posts

I have to say, if I have the disk in my hand, then I'm going to replace it. I suppose if it was from really low miles, or just undeniably nearly new, it might be reasonable to keep. But otherwise...
Old 05-22-2017, 09:21 AM
WRE
Intermediate

I likely will buy an LS7 clutch package and replace everything. I would like to be able to gauge how much wear I have put on this clutch in the last 40K miles though.

The most intriguing part for me, is that I can't find this information anywhere on the forum. A few other posts on this topic have died without an answer...
Old 05-23-2017, 07:36 PM
WRE
Intermediate

Is this information in the service manual? I have a CD version on order....

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Disc Minimum Thickness

Quick Reply: Clutch Disc Minimum Thickness