C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help asap centering airbag coil

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 12:53 AM
starsandstripes
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need help asap centering airbag coil

Hey everyone. I'm putting a C6 steering wheel in my C5 and had to change the intermediate shaft in the steering column so I had to take it apart. Upon re-assembly, I was following GM's service manual to center the airbag coil. My coil had no service window and had a spring lock.

When looking at the instructions, it said to turn the coil completely in the direction of the arrow on the back. Now here's where I got confused: my arrow on the coil is in the opposite direction of the picture on the service manual.

I chose to follow the direction of the arrow on my coil, so I turned the coil clockwise until it stopped. Then, as per the manual, I turned it 2.5 rotations in the opposite direction. However, The hole doesn't line up when installed, it looks like the coil should only be turned 2 and 1/4 revolutions, not 2 and 1/2.

Normally I wouldnt care but Im trying to avoid any damage to the coil incase I screwed up. I tried following the service manual's arrow direction but had similar results.

If it matters, lock to lock on the coil seems to be 7 rotations so theoretically i should turn it 3.5 times for center, but the manual doesn't state this.

Any help asap would be much appreciated as Im trying to get my steering wheel back on. Thank you

Old 05-22-2017, 10:43 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moving to C5 Tech.

Quick Reply: Need help asap centering airbag coil