C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Specific question about DRM shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 11:53 AM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Specific question about DRM shocks

I've searched and read many threads about these shocks and was hoping someone could help me out specifically with my setup.

I'm looking into changing my dampers to either DRM or JOC. I bought a C5 coupe with F45, ripped it out, and installed Koni FSD's with C6 Z51 sway bars. I'm really unhappy with the performance of the Koni's. They feel like they wallow, and have a lot of dive and squat under braking and acceleration. If you want a great deal on some <1000 mile Koni FSD's PM me, you may like them more than me.

My brother has the JOC stage 1 with PSS on his C5 and it kicks butt. Rides and handles great. Ride is completely acceptable IMO. I'd like to just replace the dampers because I don't want to rip out all the suspension I just bought and installed.

My question is: Do the DRM shocks do a good job of limiting dive and squat while also providing a good amount of body control? I like the JOC's because when you get on the throttle it hits hard and there isn't any give front to back. I know that I like the JOC shocks, but if I can run the DRM's for a little less $ with comparable performance great! At this point I'm not worried about comparing the road compliance between the two. I'm already on Non-runflats (Hankook EVO) so my ride is just fine with stiffer shocks. I'll probably end up going PSS or PS4S when I get rid of these tires.

If you think something else would be better please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 05-25-2017, 09:14 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

I can't speak on either product as I have neither. I'm sure both are quality products.

You know what you like, and you know what opinions are worth. Everyone has one.
Unless you can try both of them, go with what you know you like for the $150 more. In the long run it won't matter.

That's my opinion and you know what that's worth.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:42 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

If you want to make your current set up work, find someone who knows how to properly set up the suspension. First they will set ride height, then Caster/Camber/Toe, finally they will corner balance the Corvette and reset to final ride height/Caster/Camber/Toe. It is not cheap but is day and night difference in handling. DRM Bilstein are the best non adjustable shock to C5 Corvettes followed by the 04 Z06, JOC, C6 Z06 shocks. The Koni FSD shocks should be similar to the C6 Z shocks.

Get notified of new replies

To Specific question about DRM shocks

Quick Reply: Specific question about DRM shocks