C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bought a used 01 with 42k miles, creaking noises

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 03:43 AM
devan lewis
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bought a used 01 with 42k miles, creaking noises

so like the title says i found a 2001 6 spd ls1. on the test drive it had a couple creeking pop noises when i would turn the wheel in parking lots to park, or when i would go from reverse to first gear, as soon as the cars momentum would go forward you can hear the popping. it wasnt too bad but i took it to a shop and had them do an inspection on it and they told me the tie rod ends and the sway bar links needed replaced. so i decided **** it i'll go for it. i buy the car, drive it back a couple hours home, and start looking for a shop to fix said issue.

i find one and tell him to replace them, he calls me later on telling me that the tie rod ends are fine, but the upper ball joints had a lot of play in them and he thinks that could have been the issue. so i tell him go for it replace that and the sway bar links, turns out its a litte cheaper that way.

i've got the car back now for almost two weeks and the noise hasn't gone away. in fact i think its gotten worse. the mechanic said i should try the lower ball joints next.

does anybody else think the mechanic is just trying to get me to have him replace unnecessary ****? or am i just paranoid.

thanks.

Last edited by devan lewis; 05-28-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:31 AM
kp1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

He doesn't know the origin of the noise, so he's essentially saying - you might try this. I suppose after you replace the lowers he'll suggest replacing the steering rack.

Popping going in & out of gear almost sounds like a motor mount or at least something popping when the engine moves a bit.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:58 PM
Carl Timonen
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Is there much evidence of rust (red dust) at the axle nuts? It might be that they need to be loosened, slid inward, greased and retightened. Just guessing here.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:23 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds like rear axle splines are dry and or axle nuts are loose.

The axle nut on 2002 cars is supposed to be torqued to 118 ft-lb. It's easy with center cap off wheel.

I loosened and removed the axle nut with car on ground.
Jack up corner and removed wheel.
You should be able to push axle in a bit and spray motorcycle chain lube on the spline on the inside. Do the same on the outside. Sliding the axle in and out in the spline will distribute the lube on the spline.
Put the wheel back on and torque the axle nut.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:33 AM
HT1663WB
Melting Slicks

Received 138 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
Sounds like rear axle splines are dry and or axle nuts are loose.

The axle nut on 2002 cars is supposed to be torqued to 118 ft-lb. It's easy with center cap off wheel.

I loosened and removed the axle nut with car on ground.
Jack up corner and removed wheel.
You should be able to push axle in a bit and spray motorcycle chain lube on the spline on the inside. Do the same on the outside. Sliding the axle in and out in the spline will distribute the lube on the spline.
Put the wheel back on and torque the axle nut.
. Had the same issue on a 2000 Corvette. Easy fix.

Get notified of new replies

To bought a used 01 with 42k miles, creaking noises

Quick Reply: bought a used 01 with 42k miles, creaking noises