C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping Odometer module in Cluster, How?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:39 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Default Swapping Odometer module in Cluster, How?

So, right now I have a Z06 cluster painted red with HUD installed in my 98 Corvette! (which all should know is not possible as Z06 did not come out yet and its a vert to top it off). My problem is the odometer reading and I was hoping somewhere there was a discussion on swapping what ever unit that is in on the old cluster. I really like the style of the Z06 cluster. Does anybody know what unit is used on the cluster for holding odometer reading and has anybody tried this?
Second choice is if anybody knows specifically where I can send the cluster in to get the correct reading loaded into the Z06 cluster.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:42 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Not sure what you are asking exactly. The Odometer reading displays in the DIC which is the small display below and between the Tach and Speedo. You can display ODO miles by scrolling through with the buttons to the left of the instrument cluster, specifically the one that says "TRIP". If this display is blank, then you have bigger problems, like the switch cluster bad and a few other possible causes.

The ODO miles are logged by your BCM.

the stealership can make the handshake between the BCM and the IPC for ODO reading,, provided there are no comm problems. If your DIC is messaging, clear your codes before going to the stealership. Someone else may have a method for making this handshake, perhaps others will chime in and tell you how to do it w/o going through the pain of seeing a dealer.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:56 AM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by k24556
Not sure what you are asking exactly. The Odometer reading displays in the DIC which is the small display below and between the Tach and Speedo. You can display ODO miles by scrolling through with the buttons to the left of the instrument cluster, specifically the one that says "TRIP". If this display is blank, then you have bigger problems, like the switch cluster bad and a few other possible causes.

The ODO miles are logged by your BCM.

the stealership can make the handshake between the BCM and the IPC for ODO reading,, provided there are no comm problems. If your DIC is messaging, clear your codes before going to the stealership. Someone else may have a method for making this handshake, perhaps others will chime in and tell you how to do it w/o going through the pain of seeing a dealer.
The BCM does not have the Odometer data it is stored somewhere in the cluster unit. I know this because when I installed the Z06 cluster from the original the milage shifted to what the other car had. Do you know which unit on the IPC holds this data? I want to see if it is feasible to install my old one in the Z06 IPC.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:36 PM
MrGary2011
Burning Brakes

After consideration and looking at my original, all I have to do is solder a connector on top and my HUD will work with the old cluster and I will have correct milage. I have a Carbon Fiber red/black outside piece where the switches go and ordered some red colored rings to install around the gages. After looking at what I have I think it is going to look better than the all red Z06 cluster (more sophisticated less kiddie look. Will post pics when done. I love it when a plan goes together and works out. Just got to practice on my solder skills, used to be NASA certified so I am not to worried!
Old 07-04-2017, 11:46 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by MrGary2011
The BCM does not have the Odometer data it is stored somewhere in the cluster unit. I know this because when I installed the Z06 cluster from the original the milage shifted to what the other car had. Do you know which unit on the IPC holds this data? I want to see if it is feasible to install my old one in the Z06 IPC.
The odometer data is stored in an IC that's surface-mounted at the center of the IPC's main board. It is labeled U13 and it can be transferred. This is a step-by-step very detailed procedure.

Originally Posted by MrGary2011
After consideration and looking at my original, all I have to do is solder a connector on top and my HUD will work with the old cluster and I will have correct milage...
This is probably an easier way to accomplish what you want

Last edited by GCG; 07-04-2017 at 11:50 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Swapping Odometer module in Cluster, How?

Quick Reply: Swapping Odometer module in Cluster, How?