C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: C5 Corvette Steering Wheel Removal and Aftermarket Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 09:25 PM
JDMricist_03
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default DIY: C5 Corvette Steering Wheel Removal and Aftermarket Install

Old 07-06-2017, 10:16 PM
fuggles
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Way to be persistent. Yea a proper steering wheel puller makes the job much easier.

I'm curious why you installed the hub adapter upside down and offset. Is that because the square hole in the adapter lines up better with the air bag wire? Alternatively you could run the horn wire through the square hole and drill another hole for the airbag wires. Then you don't need the offset adapter.

Does your clock spring still work?

Love those seats. What are they?

Nice car. Looks great. I have R888s on my car. Very good tire. 4 (twisty) track days so far. Lots of grip. They don't talk to me as much as the Pirelli Corsas though.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:06 AM
JDMricist_03
Instructor

Originally Posted by fuggles
Way to be persistent. Yea a proper steering wheel puller makes the job much easier.
hah yeah, I couldn't find the right one and still haven't been able to not that I need it anyway. I'm sure something is out there that doesn't require drilling into your steering wheel hub in order to tap bolts into like when using the usual universal puller.

I'm curious why you installed the hub adapter upside down and offset. Is that because the square hole in the adapter lines up better with the air bag wire? Alternatively you could run the horn wire through the square hole and drill another hole for the airbag wires. Then you don't need the offset adapter.
The position I installed it was actually right side up but yes, it is aligned with the square hole that the airbag plug goes into. Those other two holes are for a universal steering puller like the first tool I tried to use.

Does your clock spring still work?
Yup, that works and feels the same not that there's anything much different to feel if we are talking about the clock spring for the turn signal. I don't know much what it does but I do know it's crucial to the blinkers.

Love those seats. What are they?
Thanks, they are like some original knock off Recaro SRD seats I scored super cheap from this cool guy on craigslist. They are slightly faded though, do you think I should do a quick and light one over with some of that fabric spray paint to darken it up a bit to match the steering wheel a bit better or just leave it alone?

Nice car. Looks great. I have R888s on my car. Very good tire. 4 (twisty) track days so far. Lots of grip. They don't talk to me as much as the Pirelli Corsas though.
Appreciate it! I love them and I know what you mean. Driving at the limits is tricky with such soft rubber.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:21 PM
fuggles
Racer

Originally Posted by JDMricist_03
The position I installed it was actually right side up but yes, it is aligned with the square hole that the airbag plug goes into. Those other two holes are for a universal steering puller like the first tool I tried to use.
What I mean to say is if the hub adapter is positioned "right side up" the square hole is at 11 o'clock. You have it a 6 o'clock. If you were to install at 11 o'clock you could put the horn wire through the square hole and drill another hole for the airbag wires. I have install this hub adapter on a dodge so I am familiar with it. In any case I am about to do the same on my c5z. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for your video. It has been useful.

Yup, that works and feels the same not that there's anything much different to feel if we are talking about the clock spring for the turn signal. I don't know much what it does but I do know it's crucial to the blinkers.
Yes. That is what I meant. Thanks.

Thanks, they are like some original knock off Recaro SRD seats I scored super cheap from this cool guy on craigslist. They are slightly faded though, do you think I should do a quick and light one over with some of that fabric spray paint to darken it up a bit to match the steering wheel a bit better or just leave it alone?
I do think they would look better if darker. But personally, I would worry about getting an even coat and screwing it up. Awesome seats. I want.

Last edited by fuggles; 07-10-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:02 AM
JDMricist_03
Instructor

What I mean to say is if the hub adapter is positioned "right side up" the square hole is at 11 o'clock. You have it a 6 o'clock. If you were to install at 11 o'clock you could put the horn wire through the square hole and drill another hole for the airbag wires. I have install this hub adapter on a dodge so I am familiar with it. In any case I am about to do the same on my c5z. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for your video. It has been useful.

Yes. That is what I meant. Thanks.

I do think they would look better if darker. But personally, I would worry about getting an even coat and screwing it up. Awesome seats. I want.
Ohhhhh ok, I couldn't find a "right side up" marking on the hub (there definitely was one on the spacer and quick release) so I just assumed that the square hole was on the very bottom like it is stock. I'm actually going for an alignment next week so I could make sure that the steering wheel is really perfectly straight when they plug in the computer via OBDII so I'll post an update when that happens.

Oh that's cool, what steering wheel are you going with? Quick release or nah? If so, which one?

Yeah, that is exactly why I'm on the fence about it...

Thanks for the kind words. I'm just glad I'm able to help someone out here since you guys are always helping me!

Last edited by JDMricist_03; 07-13-2017 at 01:17 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:03 AM
chain_5001
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

You have the hub adapter on in the wrong position. It is marked with a dot at the top. As mentioned above the square hole is for the horn wire. If you reposition the hub adapter correctly you would not need the spacer/adapter. As for the clock spring you can take it off the hub and zip tie it underneath the knee bolster. Its only function is for the airbag wiring. Its held on with a c clip. You don't need to cut the wire or anything. Then stick a 2.2 ohm resistor into the leads that plugged into the airbag if you want to get rid of the airbag light. ........On the other hand it looks like you got it going. And if you like what you see then that works too.
The following users liked this post:
bthomas (06-12-2019)
Old 07-13-2017, 07:43 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Thanks for posting the video, as it will help others. As noted by others the placement of the hub adapter, if positioned with the square hole at 11 o’clock and used for the horn wires (drilling another hole for the air-bag wires) could make the spacer unneeded. I used the same hub and quick disconnect when installing my Momo wheel and drilled the hole for the air-bag wires as well as used the resistor to eliminate the air-bag light. Your set up looks good and as long as it works is all good.

Here are the pieces I used:
MOMO EAGLE Steering Wheel Leather 350mm 13.8" EAG35BK0S
NRG Steering Wheel Short Hub Adapter for CORVETTE CAMARO FIREBIRD Z28 TRANSAM SRK-170H
NRG BALL LOCK QUICK RELEASE HUB STEERING WHEEL HUB NRG SRK-200CF CARBON FIBER
CHEVROLET Compatible Airbag Simulator Resistor Disconnect Kit - DIAGNOSTIC TOOL (to eliminate the Air Bag warning light from staying on)
NRG CARBON FIBER STEERING WHEEL HORN BUTTON RING REPLACEMENT 6 BOLT PATTERN MOMO
MOMO Horn Button Large Blank No Logo (got this along with the carbon fiber replacement ring to not have the MOMO logo on the horn button unfortunately I think they are no longer made)

Last edited by alxltd1; 07-13-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:47 AM
JDMricist_03
Instructor

Originally Posted by chain_5001
You have the hub adapter on in the wrong position. It is marked with a dot at the top. As mentioned above the square hole is for the horn wire. If you reposition the hub adapter correctly you would not need the spacer/adapter. As for the clock spring you can take it off the hub and zip tie it underneath the knee bolster. Its only function is for the airbag wiring. Its held on with a c clip. You don't need to cut the wire or anything. Then stick a 2.2 ohm resistor into the leads that plugged into the airbag if you want to get rid of the airbag light. ........On the other hand it looks like you got it going. And if you like what you see then that works too.
I'd much rather not use the spacer and I'm trying really hard to understand but I don't get it. I couldn't find a dot on the hub adapter anywhere and it could really only go 1 way because of the airbag wire and horn wire right? Could you please explain a little more or reference a picture? I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with this... Also what is the wattage of the resistor you used? 2.2ohm ?watt And now that RadioShack is out of business, where can I get it?

Originally Posted by alxltd1
Thanks for posting the video, as it will help others. As noted by others the placement of the hub adapter, if positioned with the square hole at 11 o’clock and used for the horn wires (drilling another hole for the air-bag wires) could make the spacer unneeded. I used the same hub and quick disconnect when installing my Momo wheel and drilled the hole for the air-bag wires as well as used the resistor to eliminate the air-bag light. Your set up looks good and as long as it works is all good.
But how will the airbag wire go through the square if I have it positioned anywhere else? There was no dot on my hub adapter I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with this, please help! Do you have any pics of the dot or any pics that could help? Also what ohm and watt of resistor did you use? And now that RadioShack is out of business, where can I get it?

Last edited by JDMricist_03; 10-19-2017 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:43 PM
fuggles
Racer

On your video above, the picture before starting the video, look at the hub adapter. As positioned in that picture it is exactly up side down. Rotate it 180 degrees and you will have what we are trying to say.

Also the NRG graphic is visible in the pic. That graphic should be on the top not the bottom.

Last edited by fuggles; 10-19-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:22 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Off topic but what seats are those?
Old 10-21-2017, 08:10 AM
JDMricist_03
Instructor

On your video above, the picture before starting the video, look at the hub adapter. As positioned in that picture it is exactly up side down. Rotate it 180 degrees and you will have what we are trying to say.

Also the NRG graphic is visible in the pic. That graphic should be on the top not the bottom.
Oh ok I gotcha, but what about the square hole for the yellow seatbelt cable? Then it won't fit because it will be on the opposite side right?

Originally Posted by chris308
Off topic but what seats are those?
Just some knockoff Recaro Speed seats I scored for $80 on Craigslist. The were a B!*CH to fit though... I had to literally ratchet strap the bottom bolsters while I bolted them in, it was nuts. They fit great now that they are in though, door closes fine, seatbelt fits too.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:00 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Good how to vid but why the ghey background music?
Old 10-24-2017, 12:18 AM
JDMricist_03
Instructor

Thanks!
Well, because I couldn't find anything not ghey that is royalty free. I tried to put it low enough to where you could barely hear it.
If anyone knows some good royalty free background music definitely let me know.

Last edited by JDMricist_03; 10-24-2017 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:33 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Here's a friendly suggestion..How about no music?

Last edited by Chicago1; 10-24-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:30 PM
JDMricist_03
Instructor

I usually use low background music to fill in the awkward silences. That's just what I prefer though. I kinda rushed the upload cause I was tired of listening to such shitty royalty free music so I just picked the best I could find. I kinda liked it but I understand not everyone is crazy for EDM or has different music tastes.

Get notified of new replies

To DIY: C5 Corvette Steering Wheel Removal and Aftermarket Install

Quick Reply: DIY: C5 Corvette Steering Wheel Removal and Aftermarket Install