C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Chassis dolly

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 06:56 PM
BURL
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default C5 Chassis dolly

I've searched without luck for a C5 chassis dolly. It would hold the entire frame, engine etc. while the body stays on the lift. It would have casters so the chassis can be moved around as needed in the shop.

Has anyone seen one of these or heard of one or fabricated one? I think 2X4's and 2X6's would work or of course angle or tubing.I see a lot of people just dropping the chassis on stands but in a busy shop it's gonna be in the way until the work is completed.

I just can't find any info and a lot of people say the chassis drop is the best way to do engine swaps or other engine work.

Thanks for any info.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:08 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

The body is glued to the frame... so... good luck with that.

If you're looking to lift the car off the front and rear cradles, then there's a pretty easy solution.

Harbor Freight buy 2 furniture dollys. Build up a metal frame that supports each cradle...
Old 07-13-2017, 11:06 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by BURL
I've searched without luck for a C5 chassis dolly. It would hold the entire frame, engine etc. while the body stays on the lift. It would have casters so the chassis can be moved around as needed in the shop.

Has anyone seen one of these or heard of one or fabricated one? I think 2X4's and 2X6's would work or of course angle or tubing.I see a lot of people just dropping the chassis on stands but in a busy shop it's gonna be in the way until the work is completed.

I just can't find any info and a lot of people say the chassis drop is the best way to do engine swaps or other engine work.

Thanks for any info.
Do you mean dropping the drive line cradles included, like this:

Then you can place on jack stands, but if you want it mobile then as recommended above use furniture dolly with frame built to hold the cradles.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:00 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Yep, that's how I did mine:

Why would you want the drivetrain to be mobile? There should be plenty of room under the lift to work on it, I changed the heads, cam, clutch, and rear end like this.
The following users liked this post:
BURL (07-15-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 05:51 PM
BURL
Pro

Default C5 dropping cradles

Originally Posted by Capthuff
The body is glued to the frame... so... good luck with that.

If you're looking to lift the car off the front and rear cradles, then there's a pretty easy solution.

Harbor Freight buy 2 furniture dollys. Build up a metal frame that supports each cradle...
Yes, I mispoke, I ment droppimg the two cradles including the driveline. I would think there would be a dolly for that.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:56 PM
BURL
Pro

Default C5 cradles and drive line drop.

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
Yep, that's how I did mine:

Why would you want the drive-train to be mobile? There should be plenty of room under the lift to work on it, I changed the heads, cam, clutch, and rear end like this.
Yes, this is exactly what i am talking about except I'm looking for info on a one piece dolly that would catch the front and rear cradle and drive line and allow it to be rolled out of the way. I want it to be mobile so I can get it out of the way in the shop while I am working on engine, etc. I can leave the body lifted out of the way. That way I can work for hours or days and not plug up the garage.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:50 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Lowering Drivetrain/Powertrain

I made a device out of tube steel to do just that. Not very fancy, but we've dropped probably 10 DT/PT's out of C5/C6 Corvettes with it. Here are a couple pics. In these we were just separating the drivetrain to do some clutch work.

this lowers the PT/DT to about waist height, so you have to be careful about a high CG and roll it carefully. As you can see in the second photo there are 6 posts. The smaller two are for supporting the engine or the drivetrain to further take them apart.

I have some simple drawings of the parts I can send you but it will take me a while to find them and send to you. We are leaving for the weekend in a few minutes and will be back Sunday eve.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
BURL (07-15-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 04:33 PM
BURL
Pro

Default Chassis dolly

Originally Posted by k24556
I made a device out of tube steel to do just that. Not very fancy, but we've dropped probably 10 DT/PT's out of C5/C6 Corvettes with it. Here are a couple pics. In these we were just separating the drivetrain to do some clutch work.

this lowers the PT/DT to about waist height, so you have to be careful about a high CG and roll it carefully. As you can see in the second photo there are 6 posts. The smaller two are for supporting the engine or the drivetrain to further take them apart.

I have some simple drawings of the parts I can send you but it will take me a while to find them and send to you. We are leaving for the weekend in a few minutes and will be back Sunday eve.
EXCELLENT!! I'm amazed that this is such an unknown type of tool. I guess most people are working in a private garage and can just leave the chassis sitting until they are read to reinstall.

I would build this lower to the ground for my needs. Probably about 2 - 2 1/2 feet high. Anyway i will look forward to receiving the drawings. Feel free to PM me or use my personal email which is burl@operamail.com to send the info.

Many thanks for the info.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:10 AM
BURL
Pro

Default Chassis dolly

Thanks for any info.
Anyone else seen or fabricated one?
Old 07-15-2017, 02:12 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Whats wrong with just reinstalling the wheels and you can roll it out of the way.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:41 PM
BURL
Pro

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Whats wrong with just reinstalling the wheels and you can roll it out of the way.
Well, I haven't done this before but I'm thinking that reinstalling the wheels would be difficult as I don't think there would be any thing to attach the upper A-fames to. I may be wrong.

But the major reason would be that I want to work on various parts of the chassis assembly at different times. I will be working on Diff, Tranny, Engine so if I unbolted either cradle I would not have continuous assemble to support it's self on the wheels and I would be proping up this then that as I worked on various parts. A dolly would support the assembly so the diff, trany, enginge could be removed as needed and the remainder would still be self supporting and able to still be moved as necessary while the component parts are still removed from the assembly. Clear as mud, I know.

Anyway, I need/want a dolly. One guy is supposed to be sending some prints of one he fabbed up. I'll bet he needed one for the same reason I do. To not block up the shop and to keep the cradles/tube assembly mobile while able to remove any parts as needed.

I'm still amazed that this is such a rare tool. People working on C1's, C2's , C3's have body and chassis dollies they have fabbed up.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:34 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Well, I haven't done this before but I'm thinking that reinstalling the wheels would be difficult as I don't think there would be any thing to attach the upper A-fames to. I may be wrong.
Ya got a point there..........totally forgot about that. Most of the pictures I have seen of rolling chassis have part of the frame rails cut to support the upper control arms.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:47 PM
frodo84
Uneducated overachiever
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

One guy is supposed to be sending some prints of one he fabbed up. I'll bet he needed one for the same reason I do. To not block up the shop and to keep the cradles/tube assembly mobile while able to remove any parts as needed.
If you get those prints, how about posting them up? I bet a lot of us have wanted this, but this is the first I've heard of drawings.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:46 PM
BURL
Pro

Originally Posted by frodo84
If you get those prints, how about posting them up? I bet a lot of us have wanted this, but this is the first I've heard of drawings.
You got it. When I started searching I fully expected to find some drawings on the Forum but no cigar. I think it may be because a lot of people are content to just drop and leave it sitting cause they intend to finish quickly or it's a private and small space that doesn't lend itself to moving the chassis around.

One thing I have noticed also is that like me many (not all) of the guys working on C1's, 2's. etc are of an older generation that has a lot of mechanical experience and a rounded mechanical background. That may be the reason they have fabbed body and chassis dollies. They are good with their hands and accustomed to building what they need rather than buying. So, when confronted with a problem, that allows them to stand back, scratch their *** and say "hell, I'll just weld something up to fix this".

Anyway, I'll post when I receive. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:02 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

EXCELLENT!! I'm amazed that this is such an unknown type of tool. I guess most people are working in a private garage and can just leave the chassis sitting until they are read to reinstall.

I would build this lower to the ground for my needs. Probably about 2 - 2 1/2 feet high. Anyway i will look forward to receiving the drawings. Feel free to PM me or use my personal email which is burl@operamail.com to send the info.

Many thanks for the info.
I will PM you with the link, but it will be a DROPBOX link. Anyone else that wants the link can PM me. I would rather not make it public, (security/hacking of my DROPBOX account) and I think the files are too big to publish on this site.. If a Moderator wants to give me a download location, or tell me how, I don't mind sharing that way.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:54 PM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Would you mind PM'ing me with the link as well? I could see this being VERY handy!!
Old 07-16-2017, 11:38 PM
BURL
Pro

Default Chassis dolly

Originally Posted by CactusCat
Would you mind PM'ing me with the link as well? I could see this being VERY handy!!
PM k24556 (see above). He will send the link.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Chassis dolly

Old 11-21-2023, 04:21 PM
99FRC Newb
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Ya got a point there..........totally forgot about that. Most of the pictures I have seen of rolling chassis have part of the frame rails cut to support the upper control arms.
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but is there anywhere to buy cut frame rails like that?
Old 11-21-2023, 06:29 PM
sleepingcougar
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

maybe junkyard
Old 01-04-2024, 03:09 PM
99FRC Newb
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by sleepingcougar
maybe junkyard
I wonder of those sections can be 3D printed.

Quick Reply: C5 Chassis dolly