C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky transmission rear end

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 02:07 PM
Zoidman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Leaky transmission rear end

Hey Guys,

I've noticed an oil puddle underneath my car the last month that has slowly grown larger.

I've been doing some reading and as far as I can tell it seems like my leak is at the front end of the transmission.

Can anyone confirm this from the picture?

I've read the RTV sealant is a sufficient band-aid until I can drop the rear end to replace a seal properly (A very involved job).

What RTV sealant would you recommend?

Transmission oil leak

Last edited by Zoidman; 08-12-2017 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Leak is in front of transmission, not rear
Old 08-12-2017, 01:42 PM
Zoidman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Took the car into the dealership and had them flush the system.

In the process they said that I have two leaks. One coming from the transmission pan gasket, and the second likely coming from the front end of the transmission where the torque tube connects with the tranny.

I'm trying to build up the courage to replace the pan gasket and want to make sure I understand this correctly.
  • Jack up the car, make sure it's level.
  • While cold, open transmission drain/fill plug, and let oil come out. Which should have some back pressure at this point.
  • Unbolt pan, and carefully (very carefully) lower it down and out of the way.
  • Remove old seal, and replace with new seal.
  • Lift pan back up to transmission
  • Bolt on in alternating pattern
  • Fill till overflowing
  • Close drain/fill plug
  • Turn engine ON and let warm up
  • Cycle through all gears with brake pressed
  • Open drain/fill plug and fill again until overflowing while not getting burned
  • Put plug back and lower car finally

How much transmission fluid should I buy?
Does this procedure sound about right?

Last edited by Zoidman; 08-12-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:26 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Automatic Transmission Fluid/Filter Replacement

Removal Procedure

Caution
When the transmission is at operating temperatures, take necessary precautions when removing the check/fill plug, to avoid being burned by draining fluid.

Attachment 48178634

1. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
2. Place a drain pan under the transmission.
3. Clean any dirt from around the transmission check/fill plug.
4. Remove the transmission fluid check/fill plug and allow the fluid to drain.

Attachment 48178635

5. Support the transmission oil pan.
6. Remove the transmission oil pan bolts.
7. Loosely reinstall the fluid check/fill plug.
8. Lightly tap the oil pan with a rubber mallet or pry gently in order to loosen the pan.
9. Remove the transmission oil pan.
10. Drain the remaining fluid from the oil pan.

Attachment 48178636

Important
Note the position of the filter before removal to aid in installation.

11. Grasp firmly while pulling down with a twisting motion in order to remove the filter.

Attachment 48178637

12. Remove the filter seal. The filter seal may be stuck in the pump, if necessary, carefully use plyers or another suitable tool to remove the seal.
13. Discard the seal.
14. Inspect the transmission fluid. Refer to Transmission Fluid Checking Procedure .
15. Inspect the transmission fluid filter. Pry the metal crimping away from the top of the filter and pull apart. The filter may contain evidence for root cause diagnosis:

o Clutch material
o Bronze slivers indicating bushing wear
o Steel particles

Important
Remove ALL traces of old gasket material from the transmission case and the oil pan gasket surfaces.

16. Clean the oil pan gasket mating surfaces, on both the transmission case and the transmission oil pan, with solvent and air dry.

Installation Procedure

Tools Required
J 36850 Transmission Assembling Lubricant (Transjel™)

Attachment 48178638

1. Coat the new filter seal with a small amount of J 36850 or equivalent.
2. Install the new filter seal into the transmission case. Gently tap the seal into place using a suitable size socket.

Attachment 48178636

3. Install the new oil filter into position as noted during removal.

Attachment 48178640

4. Inspect the oil pan bolts and washers to determine if the conical washers are reversed.

o Reuse the oil pan bolts and washers if the conical washers are NOT reversed (1).
o Replace the oil pan bolts and washers if the conical washers are reversed (2).

Attachment 48178635

5. Install the new oil pan gasket to the oil pan sealing surface.
6. Position the oil pan to the transmission case and support the oil pan.
7. Install the oil pan bolts. Tighten the transmission oil pan bolts alternately and evenly to 11 N·m (97 lb in).

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Attachment 48178634

8. Remove the transmission fluid check/fill plug.
9. Fill the transmission with DEXRON®-III automatic transmission fluid through the check/fill plug hole until fluid begins to pour out, then install the check/fill plug hand-tight.
10. Complete filling the transmission with fluid to the proper level. Refer to Automatic Transmission Fluid Level Check/Fill .
11. Inspect the oil pan gasket for leaks.

Automatic Transmission Fluid Level Check/Fill

Inspection Procedure

Attachment 48178634

1. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
2. Start and run the engine at idle.
3. Apply the brakes.
4. Shift the transmission into each gear for at least 2 seconds per gear.
5. Shift the transmission into NEUTRAL and continue to idle the engine for 3 minutes to stabilize the transmission fluid level.
6. After allowing the fluid level stabilization time and while still in NEUTRAL (engine still running at idle), check the transmission fluid temperature on the driver information center. Specification
Transmission fluid level temperature: 30 to 50°C (86 to 122°F)
7. If the fluid temperature is above specification, turn off the engine and allow the transmission to cool, then repeat the procedure to this point before proceeding.
8. With the engine still running at idle, loosen the check/fill plug on the LH side of the transmission oil pan.
9. Inspect the fluid level:

o Any excess fluid will drain when the check/fill plug is loosened.
o If no fluid drains, remove the check/fill plug and fill the transmission with DEXRON®-III transmission fluid until the fluid begins to overflow.

10. Install the check/fill plug. Tighten the fill plug to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).
11. Shift the transmission into PARK.
12. Release the brakes.
13. Turn off the engine.
14. Lower the vehicle.

As for amount of Trans Fluid ?

Trans: 3.7 quarts (get 4) Dexron III

Last edited by SG Lou; 08-12-2017 at 04:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaky transmission rear end

Quick Reply: Leaky transmission rear end