C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Gauge Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:45 AM
GEMcLean
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Fuel Gauge Issue

Hey, Guys,

My fuel gauge goes to zero after a fill up and I get a Low Fuel DIC warning. I have tried Techron for six straight tanks full with no change.

The code says I have an issue with the right level sensor.

Any thoughts about what else to do without the cost of replacement?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2017, 02:59 PM
GEMcLean
Instructor

Default Codes

P0463 HC
P2068 HC

That's all folks.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:33 AM
GEMcLean
Instructor

I think that is good advice. I will keep trying the Techron.

I'll let you know if (when) it is fixed.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:16 PM
Zealot06
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GEMcLean
Hey, Guys,

My fuel gauge goes to zero after a fill up and I get a Low Fuel DIC warning. I have tried Techron for six straight tanks full with no change.

The code says I have an issue with the right level sensor.

Any thoughts about what else to do without the cost of replacement?

Thanks!
My '02 Z06 is doing the exact same thing, except there are no codes and I haven't tried the Techron elixir yet. Probably should start there with a full tank of Shell Premium, right?
Old 11-04-2017, 05:38 PM
JD White
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same issue starting last year in my 2002 Z06. A few bottles of both Seafoam and Techron Plus did not solve my problem. They helped a little but did not fix it.

For the 2000-mid 2003 cars I found this replacement for the passenger side fuel tank:

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-MU1218-Original-Equipment-Sensor/dp/B000C9U1E4 https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-MU1218-Original-Equipment-Sensor/dp/B000C9U1E4

I bought mine from eBay for $175 through a private seller. The ACDelco kit comes with the entire module, gasket, and bolts. Replacing this module was one of the easiest things I've ever done on the car. I have a hoist in my garage so it would be a bit tougher with floor jacks but still simple. If a bottle or two doesn't solve your problem completely within a couple tanks of fuel don't hesitate to fix it properly with this kit.

Last edited by JD White; 11-04-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:31 AM
romandian
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

i would go and measure the voltage output of the sensors at the plugs on the fuel hats first, to see if they work properly or not.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:17 AM
Zealot06
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Add a large bottle of Techron Concentrate Plus to a 1/3 or less full tank and THEN fill the tank with premium fuel. Because of the two tank design anything you add to the fuel fill inlet goes directly into the drivers side tank and NOT into the passenger side tank. By adding to a 1/3 or less full tank the concentrate gets churned up when you start pumping fuel and when the drivers side tank is full the churned up fuel/additive solution starts flowing across the cross over pipe to fill the passenger side tank. Adding to a full tank effectively is treating just the drivers side tank and most often it is the sensor in the passenger tank that has the heaviest amount of oxidation.
Thank you sir! If it EVER stops raining here in Ohio I'll do that.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:18 PM
GEMcLean
Instructor

Default Update!

It has been over a year. Every tankful with either Techron or Seafoam. No change at all and still not functioning.

I checked with my best local Corvette mechanic about the issue. He said that if he were to replace the sender, it would cost about $3,000, but he will not do it.

With such a wonderful car, what a disappointing piece of crummy engineering.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

It has been over a year. Every tankful with either Techron or Seafoam. No change at all and still not functioning.

I checked with my best local Corvette mechanic about the issue. He said that if he were to replace the sender, it would cost about $3,000, but he will not do it.

What year car do you have? The effort is a lot easier on pre mid 2003 and older cars. From the middle of 2003 they revised the fuel system to meet more stringent regulations so onward from that production point through the C6 and I think through the C7 the effort is a lot harder. In late 2014 I had to have the passenger side sensor replaced in my 08 Z06 and the dealer wanted $800 for the repair. It isn't an easy job and if a mechanic hasn't done it before you might get a go away price estimate. It took two dealer mechanics to get the passenger side tank properly connected to the cross over tube between the left and right sides of the car. One to move the tank and the other to watch where the tank was being moved. A lot of DIYers have been able to replace the sensors in the pre change fuel system but not so many have been able to replace them in the after change cars.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-04-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:38 PM
JD White
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear that the cleaners didn't work for you. Your local mechanic must be on something. A quick search shows the cost for both left and right fuel assemblies for a 2004 is about 600 bucks. That's a boat-load in labor costs to replace them. Yes, the tanks have to be removed to do it but they can be finagled out without removing the trans/torque tube.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:45 PM
DCrooke
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Same issue. My problem is coming from the passenger side fuel tank sensor.....dove down to "E" on my way home from the dealer where I bought it. Finally had a Chevy dealer look at it after getting the same DIC diagnostics results you did. It's a common issue in C5s apparently. I guess any issue is common if you go looking for it and it's all relative. People that have property working fuel gauges aren't going to post that they gauges are working like they're supposed to, right?

I did the Techron trick and thought it worked for a couple tank fulls then the problem started again. My Chevy dealer said it's a $2,100 repair. The one thing I've noticed is that if I do most of my driving around town starting on a full tank it won't drop to "E". If I'm doing highway driving it'll drop to "E" at first opportunity. Once the car starts to draw from the driver's side fuel tank the gauge reads 1/2 full and works properly till it's actually near empty. I don't know why that is but it is very consistent.

SO.....I don't think Techron makes any difference as far as the fuel gauge is concerned.....in my case anyway. I will continue to use it every 2 or 3 fill ups because I like the idea of keeping my system clean. And as long as the driver's side tank is working properly I'm not worried about running out of gas. That's $2,100 I don't have to spend.

I have read some posts that state it's an easy job to replace but I think you'll need a lift, a second set of hands, and a few hours to tackle it yourself.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:55 AM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Try some Seafoam

I have had the low fuel symptoms return following replacement of one of the sensors eons ago. This occurs even when using gas with Techron in it. I have used the 20 oz bottles of Techron as well as Seafoam but not at the same time. The Sulphur build up on the sensors appears to be the culprit. Try some Seafoam and see what happens. Might take several tankfuls as the oxidation does not immediately resolve from only one treatment.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Gauge Issue

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Issue