C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow/hard cranking when engine is cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 02:42 PM
ChrisLSx
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Default Slow/hard cranking when engine is cold

I'm having a slow/hard cranking situation when the engine is cold. When I say cold, I mean room temperature (70-80 degrees). I key on, let the fuel pump run and turn off, and then crank. The engine turns over but it takes a few moments for the engine to fire and isn't a "clean" crank (feels labored). Once it's cranked, the engine runs fantastic (smooth idle, strong power, etc.). After the engine warms up, it cranks beautifully.

In short, first crank of the day is slow/hard. Not really an "issue" just wondering if anyone else has run into this and it's something that can be resolved/lessened.

Last edited by ChrisLSx; 10-19-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:48 PM
PGPierce
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to have a battery load test to rule out a old battery,they are usually good for 3/4 years today,make sure the connections are tight and clean,how long have u used that starter.could be time to replace it.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:23 AM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 311 Posts

I have almost the same issue. First crank of the day is always labored. Starter will crank and engine will want to fire but “sputters” briefly before finally turning over. Granted, this all opens in less than a second but notice it. Car will start perfectly thereafter. I’ve replaced the starter, plugs, wires. No codes etc. I’ve been meaning to get a fuel pressure gauge.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:41 AM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by STRMLNE
I have almost the same issue. First crank of the day is always labored. Starter will crank and engine will want to fire but “sputters” briefly before finally turning over. Granted, this all opens in less than a second but notice it. Car will start perfectly thereafter. I’ve replaced the starter, plugs, wires. No codes etc. I’ve been meaning to get a fuel pressure gauge.
What if you turn the key on for a few seconds on the first start of the day and then crank it !!....any better ??...yes, maybe a FP gauge if rail pressure may be dropping with key off !!
Old 06-25-2019, 11:46 AM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Mine does the same thing. Always has. Still does it after a battery replacement, and still does it after letting the key sit in the "On" position for 5-10 seconds before cranking.

Hell my roomates C7 does a similar deal, it's battery is getting a bit old though.
Old 06-25-2019, 11:49 AM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtClassShank
Mine does the same thing. Always has. Still does it after a battery replacement, and still does it after letting the key sit in the "On" position for 5-10 seconds before cranking.

Hell my roomates C7 does a similar deal, it's battery is getting a bit old though.
MMMM ??...interesting !!
Old 06-25-2019, 12:09 PM
STRMLNE
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Diag
What if you turn the key on for a few seconds on the first start of the day and then crank it !!....any better ??...yes, maybe a FP gauge if rail pressure may be dropping with key off !!
Same result. I need to get that fp gauge. But I’ve just been so busy fixing other things first. Haha.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:41 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
I'm having a slow/hard cranking situation when the engine is cold. When I say cold, I mean room temperature (70-80 degrees). I key on, let the fuel pump run and turn off, and then crank. The engine turns over but it takes a few moments for the engine to fire and isn't a "clean" crank (feels labored). Once it's cranked, the engine runs fantastic (smooth idle, strong power, etc.). After the engine warms up, it cranks beautifully.

In short, first crank of the day is slow/hard. Not really an "issue" just wondering if anyone else has run into this and it's something that can be resolved/lessened.
It can be the starter itself. I replaced mine with a genuine AC Delco starter and it ripped the engine over ever since. Starts WAY faster, and did so in winter temps with no issues. I know they're more money but I've never liked Remanufactured starters.

Last edited by K-Spaz; 06-25-2019 at 01:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LeoLivinLife (07-19-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Slow/hard cranking when engine is cold

Quick Reply: Slow/hard cranking when engine is cold