C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C5 owner needs help

Old 10-21-2017, 05:52 PM
Bond007
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New C5 owner needs help

I recently purchased a 2001 DBGM convertible. I have several issues that cannot figure out and could use some expertise.
1. How to replace drivers side courtesy light.
2. When I put a CD in the player it won't go in all the way and get
an ERR code.
3. The under the hood light does not work nor does the Electrochromatic
rear view mirror and map lights.
These are not big issues I realize, just would like to get them working.
Otherwise the car runs great, one owner,63000 miles on it.
Thank You ALL in Advance.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:50 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Number 3 - Check fuse #2 in passenger footwell fuse panel.
The following users liked this post:
Bond007 (10-26-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 06:58 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by MAC5
Number 3 - Check fuse #2 in passenger footwell fuse panel.
You can also check to see if the previous owner unplugged the under hood light. Connection for the lamp is located along side the radiator shroud on the right hand side.

Here's a picture from the front of the car looking down along side the radiator.

Last edited by SG Lou; 10-24-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Bond007 (10-26-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 11:22 PM
Bond007
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you for your help, was #2 fuse.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:05 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

#2 is a mechanical error and there are several possible "fixes". First you didn't state whether you're using burned CDs or store bought music CDs. Some brands of burned CDs won't work in our cars. You can experiment til you find one that works. You also didn't state whether you have a disc changer or are using the head unit to insert the CD. If you're getting the head unit to accept the CD, then it ERRs and spits it out, you probably need a laser lens cleaner disc (buy them most anywhere for a few $$) and clean the lens. That's the most likely fix. If none of these work, you can "reset" the head unit by removing the fuse to the radio and leaving it unplugged for 20 minutes. When you plug it in, it will reset itself. If you do this and if you've entered a TheftLock code, make sure you know it, otherwise you'll have to work around that issue as well. Just try cleaning the lens to start with, that'll proabably get it going.

Since you stated it won't go all the way in, you might have to remove the unit and see what is holding it out. Possible misalignment of the loading tray, possible something stuck inside. If those are the problems, no other way except to take it out and inspect it or replace it. A lot will depend on your knowledge of working on something like this too.

Last edited by CactusCat; 10-25-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Bond007 (10-26-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 11:15 PM
Bond007
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks CactusCat, using the head unit. The disc will go about 7/8 of the way in not all the way and then you can hear a motor like sound and then it spits it out,will try the fuse option you mentioned as I don't think that the cleaner disc would go all the way in. I did try both types of discs and neither goes all the way in the unit,as I mentioned before tried looking in with a light but could not see any obstruction.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:43 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Does your head unit otherwise work when using just the radio? In other words, it isn't locked because it needs the security code, is it?

Good luck... GUSTO
Bond007 (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 10:12 AM
Bond007
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks GUSTO14,
The radio does work. However CactusCat mentioned something about
TheftLock code and that if I pull the fuse for twenty minutes I may need to know what that code is. I just purchased the car and would not have a clue of what the code would be, how would I get that code or get around it, if there is one, I don't know that there is or isn't.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:26 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Bond007
Thanks GUSTO14,
The radio does work. However CactusCat mentioned something about
TheftLock code and that if I pull the fuse for twenty minutes I may need to know what that code is. I just purchased the car and would not have a clue of what the code would be, how would I get that code or get around it, if there is one, I don't know that there is or isn't.
The radio will only lock if a previous owner has activated the lock feature. If it active, any time the battery is disconnected it will activate. If you've ever disconnected the battery or had it go dead it would have activated and locked you out.

This is what I used to unlock a half dozen GM head units to try in my C5. (I was able to unlocked every one, but none would work in my non-Bose car.)

Unlock C5 Radio (THEFTLOCK)-- 1 of 1
Date Published: 2002-05-26
Submitter's Name: Ioannis Hadjiioannou

The following procedure will give you a new code that you can use instead of your personal code. Using this new code, you can “unlock” your radio and then “re-lock” it with a new code if you wish. Prerequisites: The radio must be in LOC mode, NOT in INOP mode.
Let me explain. If you have activated the Theft-Deterrent feature of your radio and loose power, the radio goes into LOC (theftlock) mode. With the ignition on, you must use the MN and HR buttons to enter you personal code in order to unlock it (The instructions are on page 3-27 in your Y2K Owner’s manual). If you fail to enter the correct code eight (8) times, the radio goes into INOP mode. You have to wait an hour with the ignition on before the radio returns to LOC mode (go for a long drive somewhere).
Procedure:
1. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)
2. Hold down the Radio Presets 2 and 3 buttons for six seconds
3. The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number. Write this number down. Don’t take forever, fifteen seconds max before the next step.
4. Press the AM/FM button
5. The radio display changes to another three-digit number. Write this number to the right of the first one.
6. You now have a six-digit number, the first three digits are from STEP 3 and the last three digits are form STEP 5
7. Call 1 800 537 5140 08.
8. Press 1 then # (pound key). You’ll hear “Invalid Code, try again”
9. Press 139010 then # (pound key). You will be asked to enter your four or six digit code followed by * (start)
10. Enter the number from STEP 6 then * (star key)
11. Listen to the four-digit number and write it down. It will be repeated twice
12. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)
13. Use the MN and HR buttons to enter the code from STEP 11
14. Press the AM/FM button. The radio display changes to SEC, your radio is now “un-locked” and usable. The Theft-Deterrent feature is STILL active! If you want to disable it, use the instruction on page 3-27 in your Y2K Owner’s manual. Use the code from STEP 11 instead of your personal code.
Note: additional codes for step 9 are: 206053, 620529, 106010, 202107, 202108

Good luck... GUSTO
Bond007 (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 11:23 AM
Bond007
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Near the power dial for the radio at about the 2 o'clock position there is a small LED. With the key out of the ignition if the LED is slowly flashing then the THEFT-LOCK is enabled and you will need the pass code (user set so unless you got it with the car you will never guess it) to UNLOCK the radio if you disconnect the battery. If it is NOT flashing you have no worries. Owners manual details how to set it but if it were me I would NOT do so. JMHO
Checked out the LED, it does not come on, so If I pop the radio fuse to see if a reset will solve issue I should have no issues with locking radio, is that correct?
Old 10-26-2017, 04:14 PM
Bond007
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes. Radio will not be locked if you remove the fuse and reinstall it.
Gotcha, Thanks Alot
Old 10-28-2017, 11:39 AM
Bond007
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes. Radio will not be locked if you remove the fuse and reinstall it.
Well I put the fuse back in and still have the same issues with the CD player, must be something stuck inside, enough for now. Well, SAD day, will be putting the Vette away today, just got it last week, but some light snow last night, so off to the storage unit we go, wanted to play some more but now will have something to look forward to this spring. A big thanks to everyone who has helped getting small issues resolved as always appreciated. Have a great winter, see you in the spring for more C3 and now C5 information.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:29 PM
WKM
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Wow snow already! Glad I live in NC can drive all year long.

Get notified of new replies

To New C5 owner needs help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New C5 owner needs help