C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat Blowing

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 04:42 PM
sdunlap
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat Blowing

I have a 1997 C5, every time I cut on the AC water runs out and my thermostat gets stuck!
Old 10-27-2017, 09:48 AM
Kylar
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats pretty strange as the ac system isnt connected to cooling, beside maybe some extra load/strain on the system.

What do you mean by stuck? as in the car overheats? Have you replaced the thermostat? Its cheap and easy.

Last edited by Kylar; 10-27-2017 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:08 AM
sdunlap
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes my husband and I have replaced the thermostat several times the car over heats or is saying that its overheating but not! All the antifreeze runs out but water stays?!
Old 10-27-2017, 02:40 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 447 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by sdunlap
Yes my husband and I have replaced the thermostat several times the car over heats or is saying that its overheating but not! All the antifreeze runs out but water stays?!
I cannot think of how you could lose all the antifreeze and still have water. Can you possibly attach pictures of the thermostat and where you are verifying that the antifreeze leaves but water stays? Not trying g to be difficult but to understand what you are seeing vs describing.

Where are you located?
Old 10-27-2017, 02:42 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 447 Likes on 329 Posts

Do you mean fuse rather than thermostat?
Old 10-27-2017, 04:03 PM
Kylar
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The other issue is there is no water as a fluid in a car.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:00 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Let's start over. You'll need to answer some questions if you really want help.
If you're seeing "water coming out" when you turn on the AC, WHERE is the water leaking from? Do you see the source of the water leak? You do know that the AC creates condensation which is allowed to "leak" out via the udders on a C5? Where are you seeing the water leak? Is it while you're sitting still and it's appearing somewhere behind the front tires on the ground? If so, this is normal. However, it doesn't happen immediately. The car has to be running for a little while for the condensation to appear. This would give the car time to heat up and I suspect you're having an issue with overheating that is NOT related to the AC at all. Turning on the AC unit will put an extra strain on the motor which might contribute to the heating issue a little but is probably not the root cause. If you have a bad thermostat, you will overheat whether the AC is running or not.
Check for clogged up radiator. The C5 pulls cooling air from underneath the car to cool the radiator. Many have reported things like plastic bags, etc being sucked up from underneath which blocks the radiator's ability to cool. Verify 100% that your car cools properly. The udders I spoke of earlier get clogged up with debris and there are many threads that tell how to clear those out. Please reply back if you want some assistance.

Get notified of new replies

To Thermostat Blowing

Quick Reply: Thermostat Blowing