C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 won't start sometimes...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 12:19 AM
CECVETT
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 won't start sometimes...

Im sad too say my first post on the forum aside from my introduction post is in the tech page seeking help. So my 2002 c5 with 95k miles on it started to not start sometimes. You turn the key and it clicks the TDR in the passenger footwell and nothing.. Some times it lasts 2 minutes, one time was a hour. I changed the TDR just for fun and the purple wire reads 12v when the car is in the ON position and when cranked in the START position it drops to 0v. The last 3 times it wouldn't start I tapped the starter and then it cranked right up. The last time I did it i had someone hold the key cranked and as soon as I touched the starter it turned over and fired up. My question is how do I diagnose if its the starter itself or the solenoid? And how involved is the replacement process? I have stock headers if that matters. If its not too difficult I would prefer to change myself. I have a lift at my disposal.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:13 PM
ChrisLSx
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Vats?
Old 11-06-2017, 07:28 PM
jim993
Drifting

Received 523 Likes on 334 Posts

It is not that big a job. I would replace the entire starter and solenoid assembly, given the effort involved.

The exhaust comes off first, pay particular attention to oxygen sensor wiring and routing. Get all new gaskets ahead of time.

It is pretty heavy, best to have help if the car is very high.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 won't start sometimes...

Quick Reply: C5 won't start sometimes...