C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synchro Help

Old 12-08-2017, 01:11 PM
tw00155
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synchro Help

Hello,

I've got an occasional grind on my 2001 coupe 6 speed when shifting from first to second gear only. Sometimes it won't grind at all and it's buttery smooth, sometimes it grinds for just a second but goes into gear, and other times it grinds really bad and won't go into gear. I've been pointed towards the 1-2 synchro being the culprit, but what I'd like to know is what exactly I need to replace. I see inner synchros, outer synchros, and a synchro assembly that doesn't look like either of those. I'm at a loss, as the kits I've seen appear to only have the outer or inner synchros. Any way to know exactly what fails when a synchro goes? Any help would be great or links to the best place to get a rebuild kit that would include all of the possible culprits. Thanks.

Last edited by tw00155; 12-08-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:27 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tw00155
Hello,

I've got an occasional grind on my 2001 coupe 6 speed when shifting from first to second gear only. Sometimes it won't grind at all and it's buttery smooth, sometimes it grinds for just a second but goes into gear, and other times it grinds really bad and won't go into gear. I've been pointed towards the 1-2 synchro being the culprit, but what I'd like to know is what exactly I need to replace. I see inner synchros, outer synchros, and a synchro assembly that doesn't look like either of those. I'm at a loss, as the kits I've seen appear to only have the outer or inner synchros. Any way to know exactly what fails when a synchro goes? Any help would be great or links to the best place to get a rebuild kit that would include all of the possible culprits. Thanks.
I'm about to go through with this myself. I have replaced individual synchros before, you could physically see/feel the teeth worn. I've done this before but it's been 10+ years so I'm a little foggy on how to do it.

I got my kit here:

http://www.thegearbox.org/T56_corvette.html

Here's as far as I got the other night, just got to removing the extension housing.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:51 PM
tw00155
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. When you replaced the individual synchros, did you replace the inner, outter, or the assembly? Or all of the above? Thanks.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:00 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

All of the above for the obviously worn ones. This time around I am replacing all of the synchros (to carbon blockers)- in the kit linked. Will replace the outer rings depending on what I find. I didn't replace the bearings, they look OK and likely have much more life. The full bearing kit is significantly more than just the synchro kit.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:30 AM
ttchybrid
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

you'll find that you will have to replace the three piece blocker rings, synchro and 1/2nd gear.

Get notified of new replies

To Synchro Help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Synchro Help