C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ODD BRAKE PEDAL WHEN ACTIVE HANDLING ENGAGES?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 12:41 PM
THENAKEDi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ODD BRAKE PEDAL WHEN ACTIVE HANDLING ENGAGES?

I have been living with a wierd condition that I do not believe is normal. I drive a particular off-ramp daily, in a spirited fashion with a bit of trail brake on the entry. Often the AH engages. What i have noticed is that when the AH kicks in, the brake pedal gets a bit squishy and goes down about 1/2 inch. I did not experience this in my '99; therefore, I do not believe it is a normal condition. My quandry is, if I take the car to the dealer and tell them about this, they obviously will not be able to duplicate the problem under such an aggressive driving condition. Does anyone know if this situation is normal or if it is related to a faulty booster or some other component. I really would like to address the problem with the dealer with at least a bit of background info, so my car just does not sit at the dealer for the day and come back with a "could not duplicate" diagnosis. Your input is appreciated...
Old 10-11-2002, 01:51 PM
RichieRich
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Re: ODD BRAKE PEDAL WHEN ACTIVE HANDLING ENGAGES? (THENAKEDi)

I get the same sort of thing when I take a certain curvy offramp in a "spirited fashion." My AH has always been like this when it engages aggressively (i.e. not when it's just touching up your driving, but correcting it). I'm no expert, but my guess is that the your feeling the brake pedal engaging if inevitable being that there is a physical connection between the brake pedal and the brakes. This is similar to cars with traction control that don't have drive by wire...when it kicks in, the accelerator pedal gets slapped back. I would expect there will always be some of this odd pedal feeling until the Vette has brake-by-wire a la the new MB SL.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:48 PM
THENAKEDi
Burning Brakes

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 10-14-2002, 12:50 PM
Casper001
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Sounds like the same thing mine does when I hit some bumps while brake or the AH kicks in in a bumpy curve.
Old 10-14-2002, 02:16 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been living with a wierd condition that I do not believe is normal. I drive a particular off-ramp daily, in a spirited fashion with a bit of trail brake on the entry. Often the AH engages. What i have noticed is that when the AH kicks in, the brake pedal gets a bit squishy and goes down about 1/2 inch. I did not experience this in my '99; therefore, I do not believe it is a normal condition. My quandry is, if I take the car to the dealer and tell them about this, they obviously will not be able to duplicate the problem under such an aggressive driving condition. Does anyone know if this situation is normal or if it is related to a faulty booster or some other component. I really would like to address the problem with the dealer with at least a bit of background info, so my car just does not sit at the dealer for the day and come back with a "could not duplicate" diagnosis. Your input is appreciated...
It happens to me all the time on the track. I believe it is normal as the AHS is applying brakes and that changes the pedal pressure.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:34 PM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: ODD BRAKE PEDAL WHEN ACTIVE HANDLING ENGAGES? (Richin Chicago)

mine's always slapping my pedal while auto-xing...the joys of 1st gen AH...won't find such severe interjection on the 2nd gen AH cars I've found...but I like the fail-safe nonetheless, and it really helps to identify the limits of the car. :smash: :cheers:

[Modified by TNTC4VETTE, 2:35 PM 10/14/2002]
Old 10-14-2002, 07:33 PM
SAXN8R
Melting Slicks

Sounds normal to me! :D They changed AH and TC in the 2001 model year. Don't sweat it, I'm sure it is normal.

Get notified of new replies

To ODD BRAKE PEDAL WHEN ACTIVE HANDLING ENGAGES?

Quick Reply: ODD BRAKE PEDAL WHEN ACTIVE HANDLING ENGAGES?