C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 fuel smell please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 07:26 PM
canoeguy
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 fuel smell please help

I have a 2003 base convertible with 27,000 miles on it. I bought it the day before thanksgiving and I'm in Massachusetts so I've only driven the car about 200 miles. I put it in my cellar the following weekend. So it hasn't even been started in over 6 weeks. All was fine until Monday this week, I started getting the smell of gas. Ive tried to read through all of the discussions about this and I'm struggling to make sense of them, too much information. I'm hoping the fact that the car hasn't moved in six week helps someone with a lot more knowledge than myself (that translates to everybody) can point me in the right direction. I find it very odd that a "leak" started with no movement/vibration, bumps etc. There isn't any gas on the floor and it seems to be stronger around the driver's rear wheel, although it's difficult to pinpoint. Also, before I parked it I topped of the tank to as much as it would take to prevent condensation. I've tried to siphon some off but can't get a hose down the filler tube (not surprised, figured it was worth a shot) ANY assistance is greatly appreciated THANK YOU!!!
Old 01-11-2018, 11:22 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,286 Likes on 13,962 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:45 AM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by canoeguy
I have a 2003 base convertible with 27,000 miles on it. I bought it the day before thanksgiving and I'm in Massachusetts so I've only driven the car about 200 miles. I put it in my cellar the following weekend. So it hasn't even been started in over 6 weeks. All was fine until Monday this week, I started getting the smell of gas. Ive tried to read through all of the discussions about this and I'm struggling to make sense of them, too much information. I'm hoping the fact that the car hasn't moved in six week helps someone with a lot more knowledge than myself (that translates to everybody) can point me in the right direction. I find it very odd that a "leak" started with no movement/vibration, bumps etc. There isn't any gas on the floor and it seems to be stronger around the driver's rear wheel, although it's difficult to pinpoint. Also, before I parked it I topped of the tank to as much as it would take to prevent condensation. I've tried to siphon some off but can't get a hose down the filler tube (not surprised, figured it was worth a shot) ANY assistance is greatly appreciated THANK YOU!!!
Did you stop pumping gas after the first automatic shut off click was heard? or did you keep squeezing in gas after the initial click? that may be the problem....drive it outside and let it idle for an hour to burn off some gas and then let it cool down and drive it back in and test it for a day to see if you still have the smell...just an unconventional way to see what the problem is...couldn't hurt...
Old 01-12-2018, 02:10 PM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Yello95
Did you stop pumping gas after the first automatic shut off click was heard? or did you keep squeezing in gas after the initial click? that may be the problem....drive it outside and let it idle for an hour to burn off some gas and then let it cool down and drive it back in and test it for a day to see if you still have the smell...just an unconventional way to see what the problem is...couldn't hurt...

The following users liked this post:
Yello95 (01-13-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 2003 fuel smell please help

Quick Reply: 2003 fuel smell please help