C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lamborghini doors on a 99 c5

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 12:21 AM
Rlb2002vette
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Lamborghini doors on a 99 c5

I'm thinking about having VDI Lamborghini doors for my 99 c5. Has anyone paid or knows what a fair price to be installed, I live near Indianapolis In. so if someone know a shop I'd appreciate the heads up. Also what's the Pro's and Con's of having them. I'm a disabled Vet so I don't think I can move around to install myself. Ty for your time and input.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:21 AM
luffy
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Design feelings aside, alot of people mention that you lose the "detents" or stops, when opening the door conventionally. Ie. the door must swing out initally to clear the stop and frame, then swing up. Alot of people find the doors awkward as the doors can swing completely in or out, without the detents that the stock doors have. Depending on your preferences and mobility, this could be very annoying parking on a slight incline or in a crowded lot.

I would recommend trying one in person to see if it suits your liking. P
Old 01-25-2018, 11:31 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

I could be wrong, but my gut feeling is that if you're disabled to the point where you can't install it yourself, you're not going to get much use out of it.
The following users liked this post:
digitaloutsider (02-04-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 12:50 PM
Rlb2002vette
Racer

Originally Posted by luffy
Design feelings aside, alot of people mention that you lose the "detents" or stops, when opening the door conventionally. Ie. the door must swing out initally to clear the stop and frame, then swing up. Alot of people find the doors awkward as the doors can swing completely in or out, without the detents that the stock doors have. Depending on your preferences and mobility, this could be very annoying parking on a slight incline or in a crowded lot.

Ty for all the information,I hadn't thought about the points you told me. I'm gonna utilize all the knowledge and experience y'all share.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:01 AM
Rlb2002vette
Racer

Originally Posted by luffy

tty for the good advise, I hadn't thought about existing car on a inclined. I'm gonna try them out before buying. Ty
Old 02-06-2018, 02:21 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I've never had occasion to try them on a Vette, but I have on a Silverado pickup and a Toyota XB mini-box SUV. In both situations I found them more difficult to get in and out than conventional doors. Plus, you still have to open them outward first before they swing up. You have to duck your head to get in or out. I had an opportunity to drive a Lamborghini Diablo. The worst thing about the car was trying to get out of it. When I pulled on the door to lift myself up, instead the door closed on me making matters worse. Not a fan.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:37 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Around 15 years ago now I had them on a Mitsubishi Eclipse spyder (a car with doors very similar to a C5). I did the install work, and they were the first and last car I ever had them on and would never do it again.

The issues I had were numerous. First was most of the struts for the doors wore themselves out quickly with use. I eventually had to upgrade to a 800 lb rated single strut, which was after initially going through two sets of struts. Second was I had to change all the adjuster hardware out to nylon threaded nuts and bolts because the doors would often slightly move out of adjustment. You really want them to be adjusted and stay put. The final thing with them is the novelty wore out SUPER fast. Like has been mentioned you still have to open them out like normal (so the interior will clear the A pillar) but the adjustment hardware eliminates this swinging outward motion by roughly half (so you lose half of the ability of the door to open horizontally), then you swing it up.

I ended up giving the hinges away to a friend.

Was it fun? Not going to lie; it was a super popular car. I had the local Mitsubishi dealer ask to show the car and had it sit outside quite a few independent shops (loved the discounts). And it was a plain jane run of the mill Eclipse. Despite all the online negative comments in modern times I never once had any negativity towards them. Most of it was install questions, difficulty, use, etc etc.

Again I'd never do them again though.

EDIT: UGGGHHH what the hell was I thinking back then?....

Last edited by Velocity_Vette; 02-07-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:41 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

^ lesson learned
Old 02-09-2018, 12:06 AM
ASRoff
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

not to pile on because if that's what you like then by all means build what YOU want. But I would like to add that it really hurts the possible re-sale of the car and it adds quite a bit of weight.... one of the reasons why I purchased my C5z and not a C6z is because its about 200 lbs lighter.... I plan to take the car out on some track days and want the car as light as possible for the performance.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (02-13-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:33 PM
Rlb2002vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Velocity_Vette
Around 15 years ago now I had them on a Mitsubishi Eclipse spyder (a car with doors very similar to a C5). I did the install work, and they were the first and last car I ever had them on and would never do it again.

The issues I had were numerous. First was most of the struts for the doors wore themselves out quickly with use. I eventually had to upgrade to a 800 lb rated single strut, which was after initially going through two sets of struts. Second was I had to change all the adjuster hardware out to nylon threaded nuts and bolts because the doors would often slightly move out of adjustment. You really want them to be adjusted and stay put. The final thing with them is the novelty wore out SUPER fast. Like has been mentioned you still have to open them out like normal (so the interior will clear the A pillar) but the adjustment hardware eliminates this swinging outward motion by roughly half (so you lose half of the ability of the door to open horizontally), then you swing it up.

I ended up giving the hinges away to a friend.

Was it fun? Not going to lie; it was a super popular car. I had the local Mitsubishi dealer ask to show the car and had it sit outside quite a few independent shops (loved the discounts). And it was a plain jane run of the mill Eclipse. Despite all the online negative comments in modern times I never once had any negativity towards them. Most of it was install questions, difficulty, use, etc etc.

Again I'd never do them again though.

EDIT: UGGGHHH what the hell was I thinking back then?....

The doors look cool on your car
.. But I mow understand more about the things (cons) we only see"Kool doors I want a set, ty Rick
Old 02-19-2018, 01:10 PM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

More often than not people regret doing this mod. My advise is to let it go.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:54 PM
Rlb2002vette
Racer

Originally Posted by evolmotorsprt
More often than not people regret doing this mod. My advise is to let it go.
I think I'm going go along with everyone on here. "Let that dream go away" ty for your input.

Get notified of new replies

To Lamborghini doors on a 99 c5

Quick Reply: Lamborghini doors on a 99 c5