C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opening behind licence plate cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 03:33 AM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Opening behind licence plate cover

I'm about to remove my front bumper/facia with the intent to open up the front to get more airflow after NOVI 1500 install.
The foglight area is a no-brainer. But when I look at pictures of cars that have cut a hole behind the licenceplate area, some pictures indicate that the bumper beam is covering the entire area, and some pictures indicate that the beam is in the upper area and there is a path for the air in the lower area. I have even seen some that have cut into the bumper beam, which I can't see is advisable?

Is the licence plate area worth opening?
Old 02-09-2018, 09:44 AM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Old 02-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Many of the Wheel to wheel racers used that method to add cooler ambient air into the engine. I cannot remember who made the system (might have been Halltech) but the mess grill was housed directly to the Filter and MAF and TB. Without a closed system you are only making the engine bay temps slightly cooler. Also, once you were exceeding 130 mph it really made a difference. The other options were the IceBox and Callaway bottom feeder systems and the VeraRam systems. Other than the VeraRam, they were all good sources of unlimited cooler ambient air. The VeraRam was good to about 130 mph and then, because it was in a low pressure position on the bumper, the free flowing air became slightly dimished. On a stock LS1 it is not a big deal but when you were well over 6000 rpm it your top speeds entering the brake zone measurably less.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:12 AM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

The bumper is now off, and I see this:

Opening up the driver side foglight area will supply air directly on the intercooler and the ac/radiator behind. Approx the bottom half of the licenceplate area leads directly upon the intercooler. Opening up the passenger side foglight area leads air directly on the airfilter and the ac/radiator behind.

I think I will remove the driver side foglight shroud completely, and drill holes in the passenger side since I don't want the water to spray directly on the airfilter if I drive in the rain.
I need a front licenceplate, so I'm on the fence regarding opening up that area...
Old 02-14-2018, 09:15 AM
leo12
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteC5Norway
I'm about to remove my front bumper/facia with the intent to open up the front to get more airflow after NOVI 1500 install.
The foglight area is a no-brainer. But when I look at pictures of cars that have cut a hole behind the licenceplate area, some pictures indicate that the bumper beam is covering the entire area, and some pictures indicate that the beam is in the upper area and there is a path for the air in the lower area. I have even seen some that have cut into the bumper beam, which I can't see is advisable?

Is the licence plate area worth opening?
Heres something similar that i have done to the front plate,it helps out a lot especially if your trying to cool down a car with a turbo or supercharger.
its a must.

The following users liked this post:
CorvetteC5Norway (02-14-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 02:11 AM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

Update; I've removed both the foglight shrouds and Z06 style grilles is on their way over the pond. A friend is a tinsmith so he will help me make som metal plates to divert air to the ic/coolers and keep direct water spray away from airfilter and AIR pump etc.
I will not do anything with the licenceplate area at this point, I do wan't a near stock look...
Old 03-18-2018, 01:04 PM
Rlb2002vette
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Trackspecks make a plastic housing that attach to fog light shrouds for cooling

Originally Posted by CorvetteC5Norway
Update; I've removed both the foglight shrouds and Z06 style grilles is on their way over the pond. A friend is a tinsmith so he will help me make som metal plates to divert air to the ic/coolers and keep direct water spray away from airfilter and AIR pump etc.
I will not do anything with the licenceplate area at this point, I do wan't a near stock look...
trackspecks make a plastic housing with 2 short pipes out from the back to direct airflow from the back of your for light shrouds. Their around $100.00 and are made to fit your factory shrouds.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteC5Norway (03-19-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Opening behind licence plate cover

Quick Reply: Opening behind licence plate cover