C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car shutting off and low idle...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 09:57 PM
C5junkyls1
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car shutting off and low idle...

What's up everyone, I'm having an issue with my C5. This morning i decided to take it to work as I had not driven it for over a week. When I left my drive way and came to the stop sign, I pressed the gas to make a turn and the car shut off... I stopped and started the car up again and all was fine the rest of the way although I noticed the idle dropping very low to about 500rpm and then settling at 700rpm. I drove home after work and it drove fine with no issues. Later I decided to take the car out for food and immediately making a turn car shut off again after giving it so me gas... I turned it on and drove another block, came to a stop and pressed gas again and shut off again... what can be the issue here? Car is a AUTO(A4) with 48k miles. I ran the codes and got the following:
PCM- P0420 H C
"TWC System Low Efficiency Bank 1"
PCM- P1133 H
"Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Insufficient Switching Bank 1 Sensor 1"
LDCM- B2262 H
"Horizontal Position Sensor Fit"
RDCM- B2265 H
"Horizontal Position Sensor Fault"
RFA- U1064 H
"Loss of Communication with BCM"
RFA- U1016 H C
"Loss of Communication with PCM"
RFA- C2105 H C
"Right Front TPM Sensor Malfunction"
any ideas?? Thanks in advance

Last edited by C5junkyls1; 01-26-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:58 PM
C5junkyls1
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Crank position sensor can cause those symptoms and they have a nasty habit of not showing a code until they hard fail.

If the car has headers you might want to check the wires to the front O2 sensor on the drivers side to see if they are burned.
Thanks for the response, I'll check out the crank position sensor. And yes I do have LT Headers, that's what I initially thought. Maybe a O2 sensor has gone bad but i'll check both out and see.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:58 PM
C5junkyls1
Heel & Toe

Anybody else have any inputs on what it could be?
Old 01-27-2018, 03:50 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Also do a simple vacuum hose/fitting check. Especially the PCV System. A vacuum leak can cause the the car to stall. Look for cracked PVC Piping (behind the manifold) and the rubber fitting at the manifold near the Throttle Body.

CLEAR all the OLD codes and then recheck and see what comes back.

BC
Old 02-18-2018, 08:18 PM
C5junkyls1
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Also do a simple vacuum hose/fitting check. Especially the PCV System. A vacuum leak can cause the the car to stall. Look for cracked PVC Piping (behind the manifold) and the rubber fitting at the manifold near the Throttle Body.

CLEAR all the OLD codes and then recheck and see what comes back.

BC
Sorry for the late reply been pretty busy and haven't had a chance to really look at the car. I checked all the PCV lines and they seem to be fine from what I can tell. I cleared the codes and took the car out for a 25 min drive and checked the codes again when I got home. This time only 2 codes came back:

PCM P1133 C
&
RFA C2105 H C
Old 02-19-2018, 11:04 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by C5junkyls1
Sorry for the late reply been pretty busy and haven't had a chance to really look at the car. I checked all the PCV lines and they seem to be fine from what I can tell. I cleared the codes and took the car out for a 25 min drive and checked the codes again when I got home. This time only 2 codes came back:

PCM P1133 C
&
RFA C2105 H C

PCM P1133 C

DING, DING, DING, DING, DING!! We have a winner!

The engine will idle poorly if the O2 Sensor/s is/are malfunctioning. I recommend examining the O2 sensor wiring and heater circuit performance.

If everything checks out, replace BOTH O2 sensors as a pair. PCM P1133 C is Bank 1, Sensor 1.

NOTE! The sensor HEATER CIRCUIT MUST be working properly for the O2 sensors to function properly!! Make sure that you have proper heater voltage on the OXYSEN Fuse and a proper heater circuit ground!! This is a very commno failure point.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 02-19-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Car shutting off and low idle...

Quick Reply: Car shutting off and low idle...