C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 with under 53k. Should plugs & wires be changed solely due to age?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 06:56 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
Here is a C5 OE wire from my car. You will see that your only choice is to pull on the metal cover.

The C6 wires were similar. Same heat shield (metal part), but the boot was angled at the top IIRC.

Grab with spark plug boot pliers by the base, in the green circle I drew on your picture:

Alternatively, work a pair of ring nose pliers all the way below the heat shield, squeeze and pull up while twisting.

On the C6, I had to adjust the angle of the jaws on my adjustable spark plug boot pliers several times. Some were tough to get to, but all were possible.

And sometimes you have to squeeze hard enough on the heat shield that the heat shield deforms, but that doesn't "destroy" the wire. The heat shields are separate parts. Squeeze them back to round when you get them out, and slip them off and replace them if they have permanent dents (and that bothers you).

The key is to get the bottom of the boot and heat shield, not try to pull from the top. The right pliers are the tool for that job.

Originally Posted by apex26
OP: dis-similiar metals in constant contact with each other are notorious for causing corrosion, hence the plugs fusing issue.
That's the reason you should always use a dab of anti-sieze on the threads (only the threads) of spark plugs when installing them.

And always put dielectric grease in the boots (both ends of the wire) to keep moisture out, and to keep the boots from gluing themselves to the plugs (and coils).

Last edited by C6_Racer_X; 02-17-2018 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:33 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

I give up. Have fun OP!

Quick Reply: 2003 with under 53k. Should plugs & wires be changed solely due to age?