C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Vents

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 12:59 PM
dleibman
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 235 Posts
Default AC Vents

Hello everyone, recently new to the Forum and the Vette world. Shortly after purchasing my new to me 03 50th. Anniv. vette a few months ago I noticed ac was warmer than usual. Not too cold when I purchased it. Seller had it charged for me. Had it checked and needed a new compressor, leak found and shown to me, fine with me. Had it done by mechanic who owns a new one, had many and works on many. Everything was fine and cooling great, ice cold. This is just a little history regarding the AC. Now to what may be a problem ??????. Last night while driving I noticed the center and drivers side vent not pushing a lot of air and not to cool. Was set at 71. fan on 3 bars. passenger control **** all the way to the left (coldest). Icy cold, lots of air pushing out of both passenger vents. Modes was set to VENTS/Recirc. only, not floor or both. Never noticed this before. Does not seem normal too me !!!!! ?????. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks much, fin
Old 02-17-2018, 01:11 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

What happens when you turn the temperature all the way down? You were probably at 71 degrees already.

The passenger side temperature control is relative to driver side. The middle is same temperature as driver, while turning it cold is make colder than driver. That's why the passenger vents were blowing colder than the driver vents.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:43 PM
dleibman
Drifting

Received 384 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsumi
What happens when you turn the temperature all the way down? You were probably at 71 degrees already.

The passenger side temperature control is relative to driver side. The middle is same temperature as driver, while turning it cold is make colder than driver. That's why the passenger vents were blowing colder than the driver vents.
Thank you. but how about the difference in the air flow, strong on passenger side vents (2) and weak on middle and drivers vent on left by window.

STRANGE !!!!!! be it as it may above after reading about the same problems mentioned on this forum and others on the web just now, went to do some checking. turned on the car with same settings left last night and all vents blowing ice cold air at same output of air on all fan speeds and ac modes. "HEAL THY SELF"
NOTE: had same problem a few times with an 03 S Type Jag. told to hit top of dash a few times to release sticking doors. ?????

Thank you very much for your quick response and your help. fin
Old 02-17-2018, 03:11 PM
mikeam
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Could be an issue with battery leaking and damaging AC hoses...link below...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...and-a-fix.html
Old 02-17-2018, 05:11 PM
Vettemaster1985
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dleibman
Thank you. but how about the difference in the air flow, strong on passenger side vents (2) and weak on middle and drivers vent on left by window.

STRANGE !!!!!! be it as it may above after reading about the same problems mentioned on this forum and others on the web just now, went to do some checking. turned on the car with same settings left last night and all vents blowing ice cold air at same output of air on all fan speeds and ac modes. "HEAL THY SELF"
NOTE: had same problem a few times with an 03 S Type Jag. told to hit top of dash a few times to release sticking doors. ?????

Thank you very much for your quick response and your help. fin
Disconnect your battery for 5 min... sounds weird I know, but the HVAC head unit has a mind of its own.. the warm possibly the actuator doors could be reindexed, you pull a fuse.. but not blowing so hard , I had a similar thing where I stored the car for the winter went for a cruise and put the heat on 3 bar on the fan and it wasn't blowing, put it up to high same thing 2min later of driving it started up on its own...like I said mind of its own. Give this a try, IMO of all the problems on the c5 the HVAC issues are the most annoying.
Before you disconnect the battery put the passenger side temp in the middle of warm and cold. The **** straight up, the driver **** turn it to 71degrees..

Last edited by Vettemaster1985; 02-17-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:52 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moving this over to C5 Tech.
Old 02-27-2018, 02:43 PM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

First thing to do is pull DIC codes and see if any of them are HVAC related. Dollars to donuts you have one of these:

B0361 Left Actuator Feedback Short to GND
B0363 Left Actuator Feedback Open
B0365 Right Actuator Feedback Short to GND
B0367 Right Actuator Feedback Open
B0441 Left Actuator Out of Range
B0446 Right Actuator Out of Range

Get notified of new replies

To AC Vents

Quick Reply: AC Vents