C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leaking above starter?

Old 02-19-2018, 11:21 AM
NikolaCop
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leaking above starter?

Hey guys, I have a 2000 with the A4 Transmission, and crawled under it yesterday to diagnose my annoying oil leak. I can 100% confirm the Rear Main Seal is currently leaking, but I also have a lot of oil collecting above the starter. What would be leaking up there? I changed the Valve Cover gaskets, Valley Cover gasket, Intake Manifold Gaskets, and Oil Pressure Sender (the copper one with better threads from O’Riellys) last July. Could the Rear Main be flinging oil all the way over there?
Old 02-19-2018, 12:05 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,218 Likes on 13,928 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:20 PM
NikolaCop
Cruising

Buuuump. I’ll take any advice, and maybe a link to a good RMS/clutch job DIY if anybody knows of one.

Last edited by NikolaCop; 02-19-2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:44 AM
tondelayo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Check the oil pressure sender/sensor behind intake manifold

My oil leak onto rear of starter is coming from the oil pressure sensor, way up top, located between the end of the intake manifold and the cowl area. Seems impossible to see or get to at first.

Best way I found to see it is on the r&r video, below, or using a an inexpensive borescope camera with led lights on my Android phone, about $5 to $15 on eBay. http://tinyurl.com/ya8gsqkb

Check out videos on youtube on how to fix it, 3 ways:

1. Remove intake manifold for access to sensor [lots of work, need new intake gaskets]

2. Remove cowling, wiper arms, etc., & cut hole in plastic above sensor for access [when cowling is replaced, hole you cut is not visible but you'll know it's there]

3. After pushing back the clip and pulling the connector off the sensor at the same time, use a universal joint, deep 1-1/16" or 27mm socket, extensions & ratchet to remove; start sensor into hole by fingers or by using a piece of rubber tubing over the top of the sensor connector and twisting the tubing, then use a shorter oil pressure dedicated socket to tighten... painstaking but possible if your hands aren't too big:

how-to video using sockets, etc.: http://tinyurl.com/ya8gsqkb

Hope this helps,
Sal

Originally Posted by NikolaCop
Buuuump. I’ll take any advice, and maybe a link to a good RMS/clutch job DIY if anybody knows of one.

Last edited by tondelayo; 02-20-2018 at 01:46 AM. Reason: correct socket size to 1-1/16, not 1-1/6
Old 02-20-2018, 11:30 PM
NikolaCop
Cruising

I appreciate the feedback, but I have already replaced the OPS. I pulled the intake to extend the vacuum line that controls the HVAC door this past weekend, and while I had it off I checked the OPS to see how it was holding up after about 6 months, and it’s clean as a whistle. So unfortunately, that’s ruled out. The only thing I can think of it that the rear main could be flinging it all over the place, nothing else is really above the starter as far as I know.

Last edited by NikolaCop; 02-20-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:14 AM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 450 Likes on 375 Posts

The Crankshaft position sensor is behind the starter. It seals with a o-ring just like the cam sensor that is located up beside oil pressure sensor.

It could be a serious leak if the o-ring fails or the plastic cracks.

Good luck finding your leak.

Last edited by zachaeous; 02-21-2018 at 12:18 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SG Lou (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 12:17 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by zachaeous
The Crankshaft position sensor is behind the starter. It seals with a o-ring just like the cam sensor that is located up beside oil pressure sensor.

It could be a serious leak if the o-ring fails.

Good luck finding your leak.
When Nikola said he replaced the OP Sender the Crank Position sensor was the next thing that jumped into my numbskull.

Last edited by SG Lou; 02-21-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:02 PM
NikolaCop
Cruising

Well guys, did the Rear Cover with seals install this last weekend, on Jackstands, and after many hours of laughs and curse words with my buddy, it’s still leaking! It doesn’t leak as much, but is coming from similar spots. I’m going to try for the Crank Position sensor next, considering it’s cheap and I already cut an access hole I’m not very worried about doing that job.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:04 AM
foggy
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by NikolaCop
Well guys, did the Rear Cover with seals install this last weekend, on Jackstands, and after many hours of laughs and curse words with my buddy, it’s still leaking! It doesn’t leak as much, but is coming from similar spots. I’m going to try for the Crank Position sensor next, considering it’s cheap and I already cut an access hole I’m not very worried about doing that job.

The CRANK POSITION SENSOR is in the block right behind the starter..
Just remove the starter and you'll see it . And they do go bad. So it's not wasted money. Just replace it.. It has an Oring that could be leaking.. Just make sure to clean up the area and the "hole" .. And lubricate the New Oring with oil .

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Leaking above starter?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Leaking above starter?