C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Column lock failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 10:39 PM
Dbl_D718
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Column lock failure

I read the sticky, and several other threads on the subject, but I'm still not really sure what the plan forward is for my failure. My column lock seems to have failed in the unlocked position, so it is unlocked with the key both on and off. My car is a 2002 Z06, so I'm experiencing the fuel cutoff at 2 mph, even though my column is unlocked.

I have tried all the different combinations of clearing codes, pulling BCM fuses, disconnecting the battery, etc, without any luck. I can still hear the ECL activate at key on and off, but the column never locks. The first start after resets, I get the "pull key, wait 10 seconds" message, then subsequent starts give the "service column lock" message.

Does this require repair at a dealership? Can I install a CLB now and be good since my column is unlocked? Is there a wire I can just ground or jump so the BCM thinks the column is unlocked?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2018, 12:50 PM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 508 Likes on 425 Posts

Since it's failed in the unlock state, I would install the CLB and be done with it, that being said my 97 column lock is still working, I have a CLB on hand, but have not installed it because I still want the anti theft benefit since my car is a M6.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:37 PM
Danlb
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

It sounds like you need the LMC5 from complianceparts.com . On my '00 A4 I never had an issue but carried an LMC5 in the glove box and sent it with the car when I sold it. On my '99 M6 vert I got the Pull Key and Service Column Lock messages plus had the 2 MPH shutdown. I installed the LMC5 and that cured the problem. The installation instructions cover removing the relay to disable the locking motor. Stay away from the dealer since as I understand it the GM fix doesn't cure the root cause of this problem. Good luck on finding a lasting fix.

Last edited by Danlb; 03-11-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:25 PM
Dbl_D718
Pro

Originally Posted by Danlb
It sounds like you need the LMC5 from complianceparts.com . On my '00 A4 I never had an issue but carried an LMC5 in the glove box and sent it with the car when I sold it. On my '99 M6 vert I got the Pull Key and Service Column Lock messages plus had the 2 MPH shutdown. I installed the LMC5 and that cured the problem. The installation instructions cover removing the relay to disable the locking motor. Stay away from the dealer since as I understand it the GM fix doesn't cure the root cause of this problem. Good luck on finding a lasting fix.
Yeah, I have an LMC5 on order now. After having time to keep reading, hopefully that will be all I need to get back on the road.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:40 PM
thatguy662
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

LMC5 yep! Takes about 2hrs and patience to install. Pain to work way down there
Old 03-12-2018, 09:47 AM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Dbl_D718
I read the sticky, and several other threads on the subject, but I'm still not really sure what the plan forward is for my failure. My column lock seems to have failed in the unlocked position, so it is unlocked with the key both on and off. My car is a 2002 Z06, so I'm experiencing the fuel cutoff at 2 mph, even though my column is unlocked.
This is typical operation.

What this means is that your car has the GM recall performed. Part of the recall was to not only install a smaller lock plate, hence why your column cannot lock, but also to program in a 2 MPH fuel shut off.

It's not that the column lock has "failed" but rather the GM -installed CLBs have failed. An LMC5 as mentioned or older 'Vettes of Houston -style bypass will remedy the issue.
The following users liked this post:
jjanow (08-26-2020)
Old 05-02-2018, 10:53 AM
hifi875
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

I put a lmc5 on my z and its worked fine for a couple of years, but after car sitting and forgetting to have tender on it, I had to jump it. now I get the column lock message on my dic but it hasn't locked up. any suggestions?
Old 05-02-2018, 03:35 PM
hifi875
Racer

not getting the pull key and wait message
Old 05-02-2018, 03:58 PM
Dbl_D718
Pro

Originally Posted by hifi875
not getting the pull key and wait message
If you have the LMC5 installed and are getting the Service Column Lock message, especially since this started after letting your battery die, you need to make sure your battery is fully charged and still healthy. The battery can be strong enough to start the car, but still weak enough to cause column lock problems. You may need a new battery.

Otherwise, contact Compliance Parts for help.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:52 PM
hifi875
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
100%

First place to start is by checking the car battery.

Electronics in the C5 are exceptionally sensitive to low battery voltage!!!
ok will do its relatively new 1.5 yrs at most
Old 08-23-2020, 01:35 PM
dcflyer
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so what happens if I installed the CLB but m,y column was locked already?
Old 08-23-2020, 08:05 PM
wrmiles
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by dcflyer
OK, so what happens if I installed the CLB but m,y column was locked already?
My column lock failed in the locked position. Compliance parts sells an unlocker jumper harness, but that didn't work either. Per advice from Richard at Compliance Parts, I partially undid the steering column shroud and tapped on the lock motor with a screwdriver and hammer. That worked, installed LMC5 and no problems since (once I got the installation right.)
Old 08-23-2020, 08:55 PM
dcflyer
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrmiles
My column lock failed in the locked position. Compliance parts sells an unlocker jumper harness, but that didn't work either. Per advice from Richard at Compliance Parts, I partially undid the steering column shroud and tapped on the lock motor with a screwdriver and hammer. That worked, installed LMC5 and no problems since (once I got the installation right.)

My column is now unlocked but the car stalls after 2 mph and the service column message still shows. Will LMC5 fix that?? I seem to have read I may be screwed cause I installed the module while column was locked?

Last edited by dcflyer; 08-23-2020 at 08:56 PM. Reason: missed a point I wanted to make
Old 08-24-2020, 07:58 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

If you battery, with the car off and no parasitic power loss, goes below 12.5V weird things can happen to your electronics. I was pushing too many years on my battery several years ago and used the battery tender regularly. When my battery finally aged out, I had the 2 mph shutoff happen. I checked the battery and it was about 12.2V. New battery was installed and my 2 mph shutoff was reprogrammed to 256 mph and no problems since.

Get notified of new replies

To Column lock failure

Quick Reply: Column lock failure