C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dorman LS2 Intake Manifold Porting

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 11:51 AM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Dorman LS2 Intake Manifold Porting

Just curious if anyone has any experience with DIY porting of the Dorman LS2 intake manifold?

I decided to give the Dorman a try and from looking at the ports, there appears to be some areas for improvement. There's a "step" in the runner that looks like it could be removed. And probably some cleanup around the TB opening. The transition between different parts of the mold can be a little rough too.

I've got a set of TSP cnc ported 243 heads, and the intake openings measure 1.15" wide. The ports on the intake manifold are significantly smaller than that, so there could be some gains from opening those up.

The socket you see in the picture has an OD of 1.10". You can see the before and after of how that socket compares to the port opening.

I'm still experimenting some with different bits. Both the 80 grit sanding drum and the carbide bit both remove material pretty quickly. Going slow and not taking too much at a time seems to be key. Trying not to get too greedy, as I can see how you could really screw up the air flow in a hurry.

I went back and hit the port walls with an abrasive buffing wheel afterwards (240 grit?), which definitely helps smooth the walls, but I think it can be better. I've got some even higher grit buffing wheels coming.

I also bought the flex shaft attachment for my Dremel. Makes it way easier to work with, and it can get deeper in the ports too.

Any ways, just thought I'd share what I'm working on and see if anyone else had any tips or suggestions. Mine is still a work in progress but I think it's headed the right direction. I'd love to see finished pictures of what others have done.
Attached Images    
Old 04-07-2018, 11:20 PM
niterydr
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Mine is similar. Took out the steps and cleaned up the inlet as well as throttle body and adapter. They are pretty clean overall. I saw a gain in airflow volume up top, hope to have the entire setup on the rollers this spring to see what it puts down.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:40 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Theres still more to do there keep at it
Old 04-27-2020, 12:27 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I want to bump this back up.

Last year I added this intake on a C5Z with LS2 TB, LS3 air bridge, speed density tune, full exhaust. Before installing I smoothed out the ridge between the two halves denoted by OP's yellow arrow. However, I did not widen the runner (port match) or smooth out the "step" leading up to the injector on the long (top) side of the runners.

Now I'm thinking about removing the intake for some more porting if it might be worth it. My goal is midrange hp/tq gains not so much at 6000+ rpm.

Get notified of new replies

To Dorman LS2 Intake Manifold Porting

Quick Reply: Dorman LS2 Intake Manifold Porting