C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New lifter tick video - removed valve cover found this

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 03:51 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Default New lifter tick video - removed valve cover found this

Got a chance to remove my driver side valve cover today to try and find the source of a cold start tap, this is what I found. Does this mean these two lifters are bleeding down? Let me know what you guys think. Btw the rocker bolts were at correct torque spec.
https://youtu.be/3mCHvH_x5_U
Old 03-18-2018, 08:09 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

just to make it a little easier to see the vid...

Old 03-18-2018, 08:19 PM
SPEED750
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Well the other lifters have no play because they are under spring pressure. And yes those 2 have bled down because the engine is not running hence no oil pressure. Looks about normal. These motors are known to be noisy , just google LS1 sewing machine noise.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (03-19-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 09:00 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SPEED750
Well the other lifters have no play because they are under spring pressure. And yes those 2 have bled down because the engine is not running hence no oil pressure. Looks about normal. These motors are known to be noisy , just google LS1 sewing machine noise.
I know all too well that the LS1/LS6 is a very noisy motor what I got going on is not the normal "sewing machine" or piston slap noises. Its very loud abnormal tap that has developed.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:32 AM
midnight01
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bwill03z
I know all too well that the LS1/LS6 is a very noisy motor what I got going on is not the normal "sewing machine" or piston slap noises. Its very loud abnormal tap that has developed.
Hydraulic lifters "bleed" when there is no oil going through them. Sometimes they will be even spongier then that. What about the passenger side? Did you pop the cover and look for anything odd? Maybe take the rockers off and take out the pushrods and check them fo rbeing bent or take a look at the rocker tips that hit the valve stem and see if there is any unusual wear pattern?
Old 03-19-2018, 04:33 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by midnight01
Hydraulic lifters "bleed" when there is no oil going through them. Sometimes they will be even spongier then that. What about the passenger side? Did you pop the cover and look for anything odd? Maybe take the rockers off and take out the pushrods and check them fo rbeing bent or take a look at the rocker tips that hit the valve stem and see if there is any unusual wear pattern?
I got ya I was just under the impression there shouldnt be any play in them even when there is no oil in them. Ive had the pass cover off recently and everything looked good and there wasnt any play in the rockers other than side to side. I am going to pull pass cover again today to double check

Get notified of new replies

To New lifter tick video - removed valve cover found this

Quick Reply: New lifter tick video - removed valve cover found this