C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Connector for LED taillights

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 05:21 PM
jaoviedo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Connector for LED taillights

Hey Guys,

Would anyone know where I could find a replacement connector for my LED taillights? It appears like water was finding its way down to the connector and I need to replace it with a new one. Lights will randomly stop working.

I circled the part I need in red

Thanks,
JO
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2018, 05:38 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Is it burned and damaged beyond hope? If that's the case you could use the base from a 3157 or 4157 bulb. Pass the cables coming from the housing through it after tinning their ends.

If it can still be salvaged, disassemble it, clean the wires, tin their ends again and put it back together.

Note: keep the wires in their respective position (take a picture before dismantling the plug).

Last edited by GCG; 04-16-2018 at 11:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jaoviedo (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 10:40 AM
jaoviedo
Advanced

Originally Posted by GCG
Is it burned and damaged beyond hope? If that's the case you could use the base from a 3157 or 4157 bulb. Pass the cables coming from the housing through it after tinning their ends.

If it can still be salvaged, disassemble it, clean the wires, tin their ends again and put it back together.

Note: keep the wires in their respective position (take a picture before dismantling the plug).
Thanks! I believe their is still hope! When I move the connectors and hold it, the taillights work perfectly.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:42 AM
jaoviedo
Advanced

Originally Posted by jaoviedo
Thanks! I believe their is still hope! When I move the connectors and hold it, the taillights work perfectly.
btw, looks like those connectors are female. I need male connectors. Any idea on where to buy these iteams?
Old 04-17-2018, 11:06 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

btw, looks like those connectors are female. I need male connectors. Any idea on where to buy these iteams?
The ones attached to the housings (circled in red in your picture) are male connectors similar to the base of a 3157/4157 bulb. If you can't find them, you could use a bulb and take the base from it.

If you are referring to the female ones attached to the car harnesses, then those are 3157/4157 sockets and I don't think they are difficult to get.

Last edited by GCG; 04-17-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:11 AM
GCG
Melting Slicks

As I mentioned before, if the male connector can still be salvaged, disassemble it, clean the wires, tin their ends again and put it back together making sure the wires are returned to their original positions inside the connector.

Last edited by GCG; 04-17-2018 at 06:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Connector for LED taillights

Quick Reply: Connector for LED taillights