C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Starts then Dies, I already have a column lock bypass already

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 12:01 PM
VetteFTW
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Default C5 Starts then Dies, I already have a column lock bypass already

So I had to go out of town for 3 weeks and I disconnected the battery (negative terminal only) since my wife can't drive the car (it's a stick).

I put the negative back on, and then tried to start the car. The fuel pump cuts on because I can hear it. It just starts then dies, no idling. I installed a column lock bypass about 3 years ago and have never had a problem. the only codes i have are SDM 1001 (H C) and PCM 1631 (H).

I reset the codes, I cleaned the key with alcohol, I tried the other key, cleaned that with alcohol, and right now I have the battery on a tender to try to charge it up more.

The only thing electrical wise I've done recently is put in a double din nav radio, but I haven't had the knee bolster off so I didn't disturb my CLB. I always take the negative cable off if i'm not going to drive it for a while and I have never had this happen before. The only thing that has happened like this since i've owned it from 2007-present is that if it's REALLY hot outside, sometimes it just don't do anything when I try to start it, even with the clutch all the way in.

The CLB that I installed is this one from southern car parts, I don't have the LCM5.

https://www.southerncarparts.com/cor...xoClkUQAvD_BwE

At this point I'm about to either buy another battery (I have one from Sears, and it's not even a year old) and if that doesn't work I'll have to get a flat bed here to pull it up and take it the stealership.

Other than my EBCM being repaired by ABS fixer, none of the other Control Modules have been replaced since 2007 when I bought it.

I checked the MAF cable and it's plugged in.

I don't have a tech 2 handy either, so I can't try that.

Last edited by VetteFTW; 04-28-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:38 PM
VetteFTW
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

After an hour on the trickle charger at 10 amp (fast charge) now it starts fine. So if all of the above applies to you, make sure the battery is charged or replace it and that should fix the problem.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:14 PM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 508 Likes on 425 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Starts then Dies, I already have a column lock bypass already

Quick Reply: C5 Starts then Dies, I already have a column lock bypass already