C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM Radiator or Aluminum (DeWitts)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 03:09 PM
Ceedub53
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default OEM Radiator or Aluminum (DeWitts)?

The radiator in my 99' Vert is leaking from the top drivers side at back of rubber hose on plastic housing. Looks like a hairline crack. The radiator is original to the car so I'll be swaping it out with a new one. Could go OEM with the ACDelco factory (plastic end caps) or DeWitts aluminum. Leaning toward the DeWitts as I live in the central valley of California and it gets hot here in the summer. Is the DeWitts overkill? I don't race or anything so would the ACDelco be "good enough"? Which way would you go? Thanks
Old 05-05-2018, 03:38 PM
evolmotorsprt
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't have the prices in front of me but if the Dewitts is within ~$100 of the OEM I'd do it. GM did hot weather testing and verified that the OEM one was sufficient for road use. It should be fine if you're just a cruiser. Make sure you clean the AC condenser fins extremely well while you're in there. It gets incredibly clogged and reduces effective cooling.
The following users liked this post:
Ceedub53 (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 03:45 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

in your case I would probably stick with oem... I have a dewitts and they are nice radiators but on a stock car that you don't ever plan to mod then there isn't a whole lot of benefit in my opinion... the oem radiator lasted for nearly 20 years and the one you replace it with should last as long as you own the car and maybe the next owner as well provided that you use a quality replacement... oem radiators are about $200 while the dewitts is about $600
Ceedub53 (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 05:42 PM
Ceedub53
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
COMPLETELY!!!

I own a Dewitts with his Spal fan setup and it certainly is a great radiator. But for a stock setup it is way over kill IMHO even in the hottest of weather.

Neither your profile nor post indicate whether the car is a manual or automatic. If its an automatic make certain the replacement you order is for the early year (97 - 2000) automatic. GM changed the adapters for the trans fluid lines starting model year 2001 and there have been a number of threads about members buying after market radiators that have the wrong adapter for their year. As far as I remember reading there is no conversion option to make the older/newer adapter couple correctly if the radiator you receive has the wrong style.....
I have a manual transmission (6-Spd). I'll go with the OEM and take you and the other guys advice. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2018, 06:22 PM
redzg
Melting Slicks

Received 665 Likes on 533 Posts

I almost think I'll go with the DeWitt's when my current rad hits expiration. I know it will be overkill, and won't make any difference without other changes (i.e. tuning fan switch points and thermostat), but in central Florida it will just make me feel good. Yes, $400 more good.
Plus, it looks fantastic. At least it will before it's installed...
Ceedub53 (05-05-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 12:12 PM
Spaceme1117
Safety Car

Received 1,314 Likes on 886 Posts

I recently upgraded to a DeWitts in my manual trans 02 Z06. There was nothing wrong with my stock radiator. I just did not like the fact that in the summer time and/or in traffic the coollant temps would approach 230.

I am mostly stock but I like the fact that my coolant temps now are rock stable at about 190.
Ceedub53 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 12:34 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

to be fair you can make a stock car with stock radiator/fans/thermostat run 190-200 with a fan on/off temp adjustment
Old 05-07-2018, 12:29 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 390 Likes on 318 Posts

Don't forget that DeWitts, Ron Davis and Direct Fit are not the only option for a fabricated aluminum radiator. Although they are all top notch high quality units, there are folks here on the forum have had good luck with the Engineered Cooling Products (EPC) #1480 radiator. It is available for manual transmission C5 as well as early and later automatic transmission C5. Plus it's priced a lot lower than the above mentioned units.

https://www.speedcooling.com/Corvette/

Just another option to look at.
Ceedub53 (05-07-2018)
Old 05-24-2018, 05:34 PM
Ceedub53
Racer

Update:

I received the new ACDelco OEM radiator from Rockauto. First "red flag": The box had been previously opened and had a large gash that penetrated the fiberboard. No apparent damage to the radiator. 2nd "red flag": The radiator looked like it had been previously installed as it had a lot of small "gashes" on the radiator fins, both sides. The radiator looked like it had a lot of "shelf" wear. Third "red flag": The build date stamped on the radiator was 12/12. This radiator was almost 6 years old! I sent it back to the vendor who refunded my money. I ended up going with a DeWitt's. What a difference in quality, size, workmanship. I'll install it this weekend and report back my experience!
Old 05-24-2018, 08:21 PM
Leenorm1
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear about the arrival condition- this isn’t too uncommon with online vendors - my vote would have been DeWitts I know it’s $600 but definitely don’t have any overheating issues or concerns with future leaks or failure.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:24 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

that's unfortunate about rockauto, that would have saved you about $450... no doubt the dewitts is a superior radiator in every way but it's hard to recommend that for a bone stock car, but you already have it now so enjoy it
Old 05-24-2018, 11:28 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceedub53
Update:

I received the new ACDelco OEM radiator from Rockauto. First "red flag": The box had been previously opened and had a large gash that penetrated the fiberboard. No apparent damage to the radiator. 2nd "red flag": The radiator looked like it had been previously installed as it had a lot of small "gashes" on the radiator fins, both sides. The radiator looked like it had a lot of "shelf" wear. Third "red flag": The build date stamped on the radiator was 12/12. This radiator was almost 6 years old! I sent it back to the vendor who refunded my money. I ended up going with a DeWitt's. What a difference in quality, size, workmanship. I'll install it this weekend and report back my experience!
I have returned "open box, never installed" parts to Rock Auto and they are the best. Due to the fact that what should fit on a 02-03 Vette does not always is not the fault of the secondary parts vendor. Just ask anyone who has tried to fix the dreaded gas gage issues on a mid model C-5.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:03 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by JHrinsin
Don't forget that DeWitts, Ron Davis and Direct Fit are not the only option for a fabricated aluminum radiator.
Direct Fit is actually DeWitts registered trademark and not a company. Everyone uses the terms, but shouldn't.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:24 AM
Tiggerwelder
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget that DeWitts, Ron Davis and Direct Fit are not the only option for a fabricated aluminum radiator. Although they are all top notch high quality units, there are folks here on the forum have had good luck with the Engineered Cooling Products (EPC) #1480 radiator. It is available for manual transmission C5 as well as early and later automatic transmission C5. Plus it's priced a lot lower than the above mentioned units.

Thanks for pointing this out! Great price, I will report back with how it goes, my '01 gets up over 230 with the AC on in stop and go traffic at 90 degrees, don't want to think about later this summer. I will clean the condenser really well when I put in in and want to see that rock solid 190!
Old 06-10-2018, 06:10 PM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Tiggerwelder
Thanks for pointing this out! Great price, I will report back with how it goes, my '01 gets up over 230 with the AC on in stop and go traffic at 90 degrees, don't want to think about later this summer. I will clean the condenser really well when I put in in and want to see that rock solid 190!
Was at a road track event yesterday, 25 min. sessions, 80* + high humidity, 198-205 coolant, 205-232 oil (fluid/fluid oil cooler), ECP manual radiator. Nothing against the others, putting a couple kids through college eats me up, had a Fluidyne that lasted 17 years.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:15 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

I have one of these $250.00 ECP rads in my SC M6

Other than having to bend a few tabs to get the shroud to fit
it went in fine and hasn't given me any problems in 4 years.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 06-10-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:30 AM
Tiggerwelder
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put an ECP radiator in my '01 M6 Convertible last weekend. I did have to bend a few tabs on the AC and shroud, but nothing major at all. Blew out the condenser while I was in there, that was scary! Lots of crud in there! AC blows colder now too! Drove home Thursday in like 7 mph traffic with the AC on auto in 95 degree weather, super humid Charlotte, NC. Two weeks ago the temp was up to 235 on this exact stretch of road, this time it never went higher than the small tick before 220 and at speed it runs one big tic below 220, so I am very pleased with it. The original one they sent was damaged, sent them pics and heard back within an hour to send it back, UPS would pick it up the next day, new one arrived about three days later. Very pleased with these guys, would definitely recommend them to anyone! Wish they made a drop in for my '03 Suburban! I already checked with CC in hand!
Old 06-30-2018, 11:48 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Ceedub53
Update:

Originally Posted by neutron82
that's unfortunate about rockauto, that would have saved you about $450... no doubt the dewitts is a superior radiator in every way but it's hard to recommend that for a bone stock car, but you already have it now so enjoy it
Thanks for the information. I've learned over the years that when ordering any OEM replacement for our C5s should be approached with caution as many parts have been gathering dust on the shelves. I ordered a set of OEM tire pressure monitors and after receiving them, found they were over 6 years old! Same thing with some wheel/tire packages with tires being over 3 years old and sold as "new". Sure, never used, but certainly not new.

When the time comes, I will probably go for the DeWitts aluminum option.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:45 PM
Bob Chapman
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Just bought a OEM radiator for my 02 from GMPartsHouse for $210 plus shipping. Brand new in original carton. Got it in one day with standard shipping. I have purchased many OEM parts from these guys for great prices and service.

Get notified of new replies

To OEM Radiator or Aluminum (DeWitts)?

Quick Reply: OEM Radiator or Aluminum (DeWitts)?