C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharged, upgrade cooling

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 02:07 AM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Supercharged, upgrade cooling

Otherwise stock C5 with an ECS Novi 1500 kit, approx 500 whp. Want to be able to do some light trackdays and be able to one lap flat out at the yearly trip to "The Green Hell", and I'm not sure if the stock cooling will keep up. I see that with spirited driving in boost on the road I'm closing on to 210 deg watertemp and 240 deg oil. Not at all bad figures, but the track will probably increase it.
I'm not building something that can keep up with endurance racing, but should control cooling for at least 15-20 minutes of tracking.
The question is if a separate oilcooler in adition to the stock rad will do, or maybe go for a Dewitts with integrated oil cooler? Thoughts appreciated!
Old 05-08-2018, 05:14 PM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 508 Likes on 425 Posts

I would go with the Dewitts radiator because it will provide better engine coolant temps, and will provide oil cooling, it is the pricier option thou.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteC5Norway (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 01:35 AM
CorvetteC5Norway
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've read that the radiators with built in oilcooler is not a good idea because the oilcooler will heat up the watercooler part. Anything to this? I guess that a Dewitts and a stand alone oilcooler would be the best anyway you look at it...
Old 05-09-2018, 09:29 AM
bigmackloud
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

This is discussed from time to time in the RR/AutoX forum.

The radiators with an integrated oil cooler are ok, but don't typically have the needed capacity for tracking, especially for something with forced induction. The best solution is separate coolers. I have the DeWitts radiator, and a Setrab 625 oil cooler.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteC5Norway (05-14-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharged, upgrade cooling

Quick Reply: Supercharged, upgrade cooling